• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

vision requirement for SNA confirmed

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I was reading through the NAMI reference and waiver guide to get an idea about what I would need to get a waiver.

I'm 20:200 and my concern is in regards to the portion of the guide saying that those with 20:200 would be restricted from shipboard duties including VSTOL.

Would that apply even if I were to get PRK? Does it apply to those whose contacts give them 20:20?

20/200 is for fleet guys.

You need 20/40 or better uncorrected to get accepted into OCS. Once you get PRK, hopefully you're vision is 20/20 or better and you're good and pre-op vision doesn't mean anything.

nugget61

pilot
malli9 said:
What happens after you get accepted to OCS with 20/40 vision or better? Do they let you fly helicopters or jets with glasses or do they give you eye surgery to correct your eyes to 20/20?

Both happen

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
malli9 said:
What happens after you get accepted to OCS with 20/40 vision or better? Do they let you fly helicopters or jets with glasses or do they give you eye surgery to correct your eyes to 20/20?

You can fly anything in the fleet with 20/40 or better. You just have to wear contacts or glasses while flying. Getting the surgery is an option for after your first flying tour, and being an aviator, you are top priority for getting on the list.

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
Does anyone know what the situation is with the Navy regarding the LASIK hiring program to evaluate the surgery?

When I was first getting ready to get my OCS packet together, I had heard about the program and jumped at the chance. I spoke with my OR and told him upfront that I had LASIK and asked if the Navy was still seeking applicants with the surgery. I was given a solid yes and he requested all the necessary paperwork regarding my surgery. I also disclosed it on my MEPS form. No bullshit or trying to "trick" the system.

I just received a pro rec for SNA/NFO and am concerned because, having visited the NAMI website, the official documents regarding NA/FO medical guidelines included the following:

1. No more applicants were being accepted for the program.
2. As previously known, LASIK as an automatic DQ, non-waiverable.

Having checked this thread, a user (in JUN2009) posted that they had contacted the OIC out of San Diego who had informed him that the program was still searching for applicants. The announcements and requirements for the program have been posted in this thread as well and I cross-referenced those.

Needless to say I am totally confused.

I can't seem to get a straight answer. My paperwork was obviously submitted with my packet, but, I have yet to attend MEPS (it's the way my NRD does their OCS process). I figured that the Navy would not look at someone for NA/FO who had an automatic DQ, even less chance that they would receive a pro rec for the job. And again, I disclosed this up front. I would have just submitted for intel had this not existed.

However, I do know that some have made it through only to get the NAMI WHAMMI upon getting NAS Pensacola.

I've spoken with a few other friends who are Os and have received the, "if they looked at it and gave you the pro rec and you disclosed up front, I would not worry" response. I take minimal solace in this sort of response.

Anyway, if anyone in the know or who has knowledge of this program can elaborate on its status or when I can expect the ax...

My only other thought, and I will fight this until I'm as thoroughly destroyed as the Iraqi air force, is to seek a waiver into the study rather than the surgery...

It's a thought... This is like having a buzz kill and blue balls...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
squarebullet said:
I can barely read the 20/40 line on the eye chart with my left eye. What if I can't read 20/40 the day of the test and can only read the 20/50 line? Will they let it slide?

No. You'll be NPQ for SNA.

nombrescreeno

squarebullet said:
My vision is almost correctable to 20/15. There's still no way I can get a waiver or something? Pilots with 20/40 have to wear glasses when they fly anyway right?

It doesn't matter if you are correctable to better than 20/20, if you can't get the 20/40 line uncorrected, you won't get it. Vision is one of the least things they waiver for applicants

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
squarebullet said:
My vision is almost correctable to 20/15. There's still no way I can get a waiver or something? Pilots with 20/40 have to wear glasses when they fly anyway right?

As has been said many times on this board (usually by me, as it turns out), you are not a pilot. You are an applicant, and the standards (for whatever your issue may be) are not the same as a pilot.

herbaltonic

pilot
Another...

Gents, lots of helpful gouge floating around, thanks. Ive been looking around, and still need a little human clarification for my situation. Im a Marine SNA sitting in the MATSG-21 pool. Ive received my Up-chit from NAMI once, but was sweating through the vision test, and they didnt tell me what my acuity is despite getting the OK from the Flight Doc. I don't start API until maybe February, but have my annual in January. Being pre-API but post-upchit, will I be subjected to the 20/40 or the 20/100. I have Navy glasses, and my chit has the "will wear glasses" box checked. Am I correct in understanding that Im under the 20/100 rule? I appreciate any info.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Gents, lots of helpful gouge floating around, thanks. Ive been looking around, and still need a little human clarification for my situation. Im a Marine SNA sitting in the MATSG-21 pool. Ive received my Up-chit from NAMI once, but was sweating through the vision test, and they didnt tell me what my acuity is despite getting the OK from the Flight Doc. I don't start API until maybe February, but have my annual in January. Being pre-API but post-upchit, will I be subjected to the 20/40 or the 20/100. I have Navy glasses, and my chit has the "will wear glasses" box checked. Am I correct in understanding that Im under the 20/100 rule? I appreciate any info.

My guess is that after your NAMI physical and checked into A-pool, you are now "in the pipeline" and subject to 20/100. That's a question I'd have asked the doc at the time. Either way, don't sweat it. If your vision is fine now, it's not going to change over a couple months. Besides, after your initial physical it isn't as stressful.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

My understanding is that you're in. You've already done the initial pre-API NAMI whammy, so you're not longer an "applicant." Your actual flight physical will be over at BMC w/ the rest of the herd.

I've never done a flight physical at NPA BMC, only the NAMI whammy and then up at Whiting (and the fleet, of course), but it's my understanding that the normal annual check is at BMC, otherwise NAMI would never get anything done.

herbaltonic

pilot
I appreciate the clarification gentlemen. I guess the annual physical is just something that Ill have to deal with along with the rest of the aviation community. Thanks again for the insight, now on to bigger and better things...Miller Time...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, welcome to the club. Some of us have to wear glasses now. Not because some piece of paper tells us to, but because the print on sectionals are getting smaller and smaller, especially at night.

robertdm27

Hey guys I am currently an STA-21 pilot select waiting to transfer to NSI in RI but I am pending a physical right now due to PRK surgery. I am about one and a half months out now and am reading 20/15 but need to wait till the 3 month marker to apply for a waiver. Wanted to know if anybody on here has transferred to OTC in RI and done a PRK post op? My physical as I understand it is NPQ until this 3 month time frame is up and waiver is approved. Just looking for any advice on how NAMI/NOMI usually handles this situation. The worst part is i have a Report no later than date of 21 February 2010 and my 3 months is up on 22 February 2010. I know OCS is governed under the same guidelines as NSI so if anybody has any incite to this I would appreciate it.