• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vision correctable to 20/20 but not good enough for naval aviation?

Zarathustra

Hello all,

First I would like to say thank you for this website, it has and continues to serve as a great database and resource of invaluable knowledge specific to aviators. Unfortunately I could not find information close to my issue I am having and do apologize if I have missed it somewhere.

Now to business. I went for my initial flight physical yesterday and everything went very smooth until the eye exam portion. My uncorrected vision is 20/30 in both eyes, no problems there, but with my eyesight corrected I could not read the 20/20 chart. I could make out the goodlite chart with my vision corrected decently but when it came to the specific lighting eye chart (the one with all 10 lines of letters smooshed together in dim lighting) I couldn't hack it. I missed 1 letter with my right eye and just couldn't read it with my left eye. I had a long sit down with the flight surgeon who was very amicable and motivated for me to pass, but in the end he stressed that my eyesight was right on the cusp but not good enough.

I had been up since 0430 to get down there on time and didn't finish the exam until 1300 on top of being dehydrated and eye exams for 3hrs trying to get it right so I think this may have been an issue?

Now I went to an optometrist yesterday out of frustration and disbelief that my eyes are really that bad. I could read the 20/20 line with both eyes without hesitation, crystal clear.

I am currently in the process of getting another physical just for the eye exam and interview portion. I know I will need surgery even if I can read the chart with my prescription because of my astigmatism at -2 in both eyes.

Now that everything is out there, why is it I could read the goodlite chart but not the dimly lit chart? If my vision is really 20/20 shouldn't I be able to read both? I read in the NAMI guidelines that eyesight needs to be correctable to 20/20 reading a goodlite chart with no mention of these dimly lit charts, I must be missing something and I guess if I had 20/20 I should be able to read both right? The staff sergeant from my dept has 20/17 vision and missed 1 letter on the chart.

Any advice, feedback, info is greatly appreciated, thank you.

jtmedli

pilot
I could make out the goodlite chart with my vision corrected decently but when it came to the specific lighting eye chart (the one with all 10 lines of letters smooshed together in dim lighting) I couldn't hack it.

That chart is tough. I had the same problem. First time I saw that chart was at OCS. Almost got NPQ'd because of it.

Zarathustra

I dropped off my glasses for a new prescription (haven't worn them in 7years) to see where I'm at with my eye charts I've fabricated to the specs of NAMI's including the dim lighting. I have my eye exam scheduled at the end of August; hopefully I'll be good to go and can move on to the next hurdle.

Anyone else had an issue reading these charts? Also, I am curious if anyone out there has done eye exercises to improve their vision? Thanks.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I had been up since 0430 to get down there on time and didn't finish the exam until 1300 on top of being dehydrated and eye exams for 3hrs trying to get it right so I think this may have been an issue?

Huge factor, in my opinion.

I'm not a doctor (and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, either) but your eyes perform best when they're well rested and fully hydrated. I have to squint like hell to pass my annual flight physical. If I'm dehydrated and sleep deprived, my vision is noticeably worse. Those are the days I have to wear my cheaters in the jet. I've heard that a little Visine before a flight physical helps, but I've never tried that myself.

I tried the eye exercises, and they do help. It's not an overnight thing though---you need to do them for a few weeks to a few months to see results.

The Navy has some great flight docs, but it never hurts to get a second opinion out in the civilian world. Good luck!

ThunderOne

What specific eye exercises are you speaking of? I am recovering from PRK and would like to give me eyes a workout (especially because I stare at a monitor for 10+ hours a day at my current job).

Zarathustra

C420 sailor,

I got a 2nd opinion from my optometrist in town, they're a reputable name and reassured me that there wasn't anything wrong with my eyes to think I wasn't correctable to 20/20, dehydration and sleep deprivation must have been the culprit. I am penciled in for august 30th hopefully that will give me enough time to whip my eyes in shape exercising them 20-30mins twice a day (morning/night) in addition to staying away from the computer and books as much as possible. I'll be sure to bring my artificial tears this time, thank you.

thunder one,

There are plenty of eye exercise programs out there and it's not very hard to find, I found one on these forums as well (they all are constructed very similarly).

Zarathustra

One more thing,

If i can see 20/20 at a regular optometrist's office (and 20/15 through a pinhole test) but i am still having trouble reading this cycloplegic chart, would it be wise or not to get my corrective surgery given i am still outside the limit for astigmatism?

jtmedli

pilot
One more thing,

If i can see 20/20 at a regular optometrist's office (and 20/15 through a pinhole test) but i am still having trouble reading this cycloplegic chart, would it be wise or not to get my corrective surgery given i am still outside the limit for astigmatism?

Is your astigmatism >1.00 diopters? If so, then you'll be NPQ'd. That's exactly what my problem was.

Zarathustra

Jtmedli,

Is your astigmatism >1.00 diopters? If so, then you'll be NPQ'd. That's exactly what my problem was.

My astigmatism is at -2 so yes I still need the surgery but my issue is I couldn't read their cycloplegic chart with my left eye so they assumed my vision was not correctible. Did you get wavefront PRK or just conventional PRK?

In addition because I only have slight hyperopia I think it makes more sense to just get custom astigmatism surgery.

Zarathustra

Jtmedli,

Pretty sure I had wavefront PRK. Cant really remember.

How did it turn out for you? Did the quality of your vision change in comparison to glasses prior to surgery (if you can remember). And I take it you've had a full recovery 3 months+ ?

Thanks

jtmedli

pilot
Jtmedli,

How did it turn out for you? Did the quality of your vision change in comparison to glasses prior to surgery (if you can remember). And I take it you've had a full recovery 3 months+ ?

Thanks

It turned out ok. I had some complications. My left eye is 20/15 on a good day and my right still has some astigmatism so it's like 20/35 ish. And yes, it's been about 3 years since the first surgery.

Zarathustra

Jtmedli,

It turned out ok. I had some complications. My left eye is 20/15 on a good day and my right still has some astigmatism so it's like 20/35 ish. And yes, it's been about 3 years since the first surgery.

Wow and you passed the eye exams ok?