• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vibrations in the cockpit

VAmookie

Is there somewhere in one of the texts that can help me describe how to identify vibration(frequency) and the problems with which different frequencies are associated? Thanks

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Concur w/ squorch. I know the -60 has a small section and I thought I remembered the -57 having a section about 1-pers, 2-pers, and HF vibes in the pedals.

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
If there is any way you can get with a mechanic and talk with him they are a wealth of good info. I have some great mechs and rarely do I pass through the maintenance hangar and not get smarter by talking with one of them.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
If there is any way you can get with a mechanic and talk with him they are a wealth of good info. I have some great mechs and rarely do I pass through the maintenance hangar and not get smarter by talking with one of them.
This is a GREAT way to get in the weeds of the 57, plus the L3 (still L3, right?) guys will be more willing to help you out if they know who you are.

VAmookie

I guess I should have prefaced my question by saying... "in addition to the NATOPS" ...

That was actually the first place I looked. I was wondering if there was any additional things that might give me more insight as to what I'm looking for. Or is it one of those, "when you hear it, you'll know" type things

But I do appreciate the reply; will talk with maint. too

phrogpilot73

Or is it one of those, "when you hear it, you'll know" type things
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. While NATOPS will do its best to describe it, it's hard to understand until you feel it. And even then, it's hard to know what's normal and what's not until you have some experience in the bird. Each aircraft is different as well. In the 46, there's a vertical 1-per that's quite normal (and relaxing once you get used to it). It's when you get into horizontal and HF in the pedals that things don't "feel right." After 800 hours in the Phrog, I took it back to the line because I felt a VERY light buzz in the pedals. So light in fact, that my copilot (with his 75 hours in the Phrog) couldn't feel it. Turns out that one of the high-speed shafts was starting to go into resonance...

phrogpilot73

Is that bad? :D

How helos fly is a wonder to me.
It's not the worst that can happen, but it can be bad. In a Phrog, the engines turn a high-speed shaft that goes into a mixbox. The mixbox then transmits the power of both engines up to the aft transmission, and through the sync shaft to the forward transmission. The transmissions turns the rotors (which is essentially an airplane on a conveyor belt :D), and we fly. If a high speed shaft goes into resonance, it's about to fail. If it fails, you're on one engine. One engine can be manageable in the Phrog, depending on the environmentals. If it's a winter day near sea level and you're empty - it's almost a non-issue. If it's a summer day in Iraq/Afghanistan, you might have to surgically remove the seat cushion from your ass...

squorch2

pilot
Is that bad? :D

How helos fly is a wonder to me.
It's just a couple thousand parts, all flying in form.

Joking aside, you won't fly the 57 enough as a stud to get a feel for those small, weird things that raise the hair on the back of your neck. As an IP, sure. If you're looking for another source of information, the army flies 58s, which are very similar to the 57 in many regards. They may have information in their NATOPS equivalent. (Dash-1?)

squorch2

pilot
That quotation is on a plaque in the sim building at Whiting... one of my favorites.

MasterBates

Yep. I think the guy who did the artwork was a HSL-40 (SH-60B East Rag) instructor IIRC.

(Cartoon has the old style HSL-40 Patch)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I guess I should have prefaced my question by saying... "in addition to the NATOPS" ...

That was actually the first place I looked. I was wondering if there was any additional things that might give me more insight as to what I'm looking for. Or is it one of those, "when you hear it, you'll know" type things

But I do appreciate the reply; will talk with maint. too

Since your profile doesn't have anything in it, I'm guessing you're in the HTs. I remember there was a dicuss item about vibes, but it's pretty basic. Like Phrog said, there's so much more to it that just comes w/ experience. I once downed an aircraft one night because for two nights in a row, all of my crew had back aches. The OIC was not happy the next morning (he didn't feel anything) but when we took it apart, there were a bunch of issues found. Then again, she was Christine, so everytime we took her apart, we found issues. She was a smooth flyer, though. I guess doing a vibe run every 60 hours will do that.

@squorch:

It's Sikorsky now.