• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VFA Pilot attached to SEAL teams as FAC

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
There are all kinds of oddball things out there if you know who to ask and where to look, and are willing to venture off the beaten (standard career) track.
Yep. You're not gonna get these ones in the standard career brief in wardoom first sea tour JO training. That's not a good or a bad thing, it's just the nature of it.

Your front office and your detailer default to the Mk1 career path to set you up to be CNO- which for most of us means we're about number 30,000 in line for the job. Just think of it like an abstract concept when you're doing career planning and you want to do "something else." You have to do the legwork and you have to lead the conversation with your chain of command and your detailer, because most of the time it means you're asking to get farther off track; it's their job to keep you on track or at least provide the opportunity to stay on track for how competitive your fitreps are to get the best orders.

When the detailer or someone in your chain asks you, "Why would you want to do that?" sometimes it means they're unimaginative and confused why you don't want to grow up to be their mini-me. But sometimes it's a straight question to make sure you understand the career implications.

And sometimes the weird career path people make command...

Python

pilot
Contributor
When the detailer or someone in your chain asks you, "Why would you want to do that?" sometimes it means they're unimaginative and confused why you don't want to grow up to be their mini-me. But sometimes it's a straight question to make sure you understand the career implications.

And sometimes the weird career path people make command...

Unfortunately it usually seems to be the former rather than the latter.

P3 F0

None
Probably the most unhappy Pilot I ever met was one of these guys, about 15 years ago. Said he was invited to interview with the Teams without being told what the gig was. Was offered the billet and accepted, thinking he'd be doing flying. Next thing he knows he's jumping out of airplanes, not far behind the guys kicking in doors. Not what he thought the job was going to be, and definitely not what he wanted to do.

Farva01

BKR
pilot
FSBO opened the door for IA's supporting SEAL teams as a FIRE Os. I had verbal orders to SEAL Team 2 before the ISR IA came across my desk.
What FSBO got to do was not the norm. It is definitely personality based both on the aircrew side and SEAL team side. FSBO got to do some cool shit. Other guys I know said they were glorified SDOs. YMMV.

Choppering

pilot
None
You’re an FSO for the team. Not completely different that being a MARSOC AIRO. You’re not a team door kicker. Some dont even go to TACP school. There are jobs a DEV, but obviously more difficult to get. These are filled with both Marine and Navy guys and take guys who are experienced fires officers/ pilots.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
FSBO was one of two guy I know who did (are doing) this kind of stuff and it’s not a billet that’s the detailers just offer. It’s something you have to go network to get and the teams generally have to ask for you.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Max, I was going to say something mean to you but I looked up his bio and it’s one of the cringy-est bios I’ve ever read.