• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VFA or VAQ?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Literally every Navy Reserve Center in existence:
dd0.jpg

Subversion of the NRC is a sport. Their stupid rules only exist if you let them exist :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When food at the DFAC in Qatar costs more than expected, where does the money come from to take care of things? No mess dues there.

The Navy can solve this. They just don’t want to.

Absolutely. When you run out of flight hours or bullets, how do you get more? You ask the Wing/Squadron for more. But people think you can't do that.

While no doubt a bit more complicated on the fiscal side, one could do the same for food. Again, I'm not trying to defend the Shoes. As I've said, it pissed me off too. But I've also been a ship that ran out of money and we were literally rationed food for our meals. I think you're on the right track, in that "the Navy" needs to fix it, as it's not going to happen at the ECH 3 level...or probably even the ECH 2 level.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Absolutely. When you run out of flight hours or bullets, how do you get more? You ask the Wing/Squadron for more. But people think you can't do that.

While no doubt a bit more complicated on the fiscal side, one could do the same for food. Again, I'm not trying to defend the Shoes. As I've said, it pissed me off too. But I've also been a ship that ran out of money and we were literally rationed food for our meals. I think you're on the right track, in that "the Navy" needs to fix it, as it's not going to happen at the ECH 3 level...or probably even the ECH 2 level.
Just the fact that this can happen is a big enough readiness issue for the Navy to have justification to address it. If you had run out of fuel or ammunition, that certainly would not be borne on the backs of the crew. Why should food be any different?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just the fact that this can happen is a big enough readiness issue for the Navy to have justification to address it. If you had run out of fuel or ammunition, that certainly would not be borne on the backs of the crew. Why should food be any different?

That's exactly what I said in my post. I agree with you, but I think you think I'm trying to argue your point. I think I'm being imprecise in expressing my thoughts.

You say the Navy needs to change it. I'm just pointing out the Navy's perspective. They pay you to eat, by law. You go to the boat and have to pay more than you're paid to eat on the boat. As a result, you help subsidize the ship's (and by extension, the Navy's) debt.

From the Navy's perspective, what's there to fix? Seems like it's working just great for the Navy. Can't the Navy just move on to more pressing and important issues like changing our uniforms every 3 years?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's exactly what I said in my post. I agree with you, but I think you think I'm trying to argue your point. I think I'm being imprecise in expressing my thoughts.

You say the Navy needs to change it. I'm just pointing out the Navy's perspective. They pay you to eat, by law. You go to the boat and have to pay more than you're paid to eat on the boat. As a result, you help subsidize the ship's (and by extension, the Navy's) debt.

From the Navy's perspective, what's there to fix? Seems like it's working just great for the Navy. Can't the Navy just move on to more pressing and important issues like changing our uniforms every 3 years?
Something something Service Dress Khaki something something.

Carolina Cruizer

Prorec Y-SNFO
Does anyone know if all platforms use CEP ear plug inserts or do some platforms use ACCES? I'm fitting at CAG and want to make sure we order correctly

Dhoop29

None
Unless things have drastically changed (and maybe they have), I’d be skeptical of any TRACOM crossover to any actual TACAIR tactical skills. What gets taught in CNATRA is more designed to weed out people who can’t keep up fast enough to learn the actual stuff when they hit the fleet.
The AWI portion of VT-86 was remarkably useful to get started at 106 when I showed up at the end of 2017. The 106 syllabus has been altered a few times since then, but I think 86's syllabus does an excellent job of getting WSOs prepared for the requirements of the F-18, shoot the VMTS even has one hand controller to mimic the a non-ACS jet.

I do agree that there is not much Growler applicability though.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Does anyone know if all platforms use CEP ear plug inserts or do some platforms use ACCES? I'm fitting at CAG and want to make sure we order correctly
CEPs are part of your gear, not the aircraft. They can be used as an option in any platform.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
It’s going to depend on what Y connector they use on your comm cord. If you ask the PRs at the squadron they should know. I haven’t seen an ACCES cord so I’m not sure if it uses the same connector as CEPs or not.