• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VertRep Job

Pags

N/A
pilot
Evergreen and VHI are flying timber operations lifting 5-10,000 LB logs long line with surplus H-3's that have had all some serious weight savings applied to the aircraft. I think it's pretty amazing. Parts are cheap and plentiful and I bet you'll see these things soldier on for quite a while.

Even GEO-SEIS went with older/cheaper SA-330 straight Puma's - as opposed to newer 332 Super Puma/Cougar. It's a peer of the H-3/S-61 operationally.

So I'm really curious what Blackwater will actually field that will satisfy MSC and allow them to make a worthwhile profit. Mi-17's anyone?

old phrogs?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Nope - Columbia Helicopters is the only one that will look at retired Phrogs. They now own the type certificate for the BV-107II and they can do depot level repair and overhaul of T-58's and all the Boeing gear boxes. Their application is so specialized and they have the operating numbers down so cold they are probably the only ones that can make money with that airframe.
00222.jpg

I suspect you'll see a lot of Phrogs - the ones not doing gate guard duty - sold for scrap once they are in AMMARC a while.

phrogpilot73

I suspect you'll see a lot of Phrogs - the ones not doing gate guard duty - sold for scrap once they are in AMMARC a while.
Or if a make a million bucks, I'll buy one and restore her to her glory... Can you imagine, your own Phrog... How sweet would life be?!?

plc67

pilot
Don't know how that happened. There it goes again and why is it doing that? Thought that only happened on the flight deck.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I was at A-County down here in Corpus and ran into an ex A4/-14 driver flying for ERA...I guess they are the biggest helo airline in the world. In any case they were using an old H-3 for rig vertrep...They can do up to 10000 in external and they ferry parts and crews like crazy with that airframe down here. He did mention that they had a rotor upgrade...can't remember the airframe...but they were good for an extra 14 knots or so...

Just some fuel for the fire...