• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN VAQ-140 Growler Cruise Video (2015-2016)

four o two

None
Stopping through to share our cruise video from our deployment to the Gulf and Eastern Med this past year. It was definitely a fun time with lots of hard work.

I made the video in three parts, but the part you probably wanna see is Chapter 3 (linked below). Feel free to check out the rest as well!

robav8r

None
Contributor
Cool video - thanks for sharing. Question: Do Growlers typically get shot in AB ?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What I ask may not be able to be answered, and I get that, but...

I notice that in the video you have a section returning to das Boat, and a section (at least) getting gas, but on station, it looks like a single. Given airframe limitations, do you guys go together, then split up to provide your specific, individual coverage (for what I think I loosely understand what you're doing)? And then rejoin for gas/RTB? Interesting to see so many EW birds stacked up together.

four o two

None
What I ask may not be able to be answered, and I get that, but...

I notice that in the video you have a section returning to das Boat, and a section (at least) getting gas, but on station, it looks like a single. Given airframe limitations, do you guys go together, then split up to provide your specific, individual coverage (for what I think I loosely understand what you're doing)? And then rejoin for gas/RTB? Interesting to see so many EW birds stacked up together.
It's as you're describing - we flew all missions over country as [at least] sections. Sometimes it was 2 Growlers, other times we would be tied up with an F/A-18C/E/F.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nice to see the Big Jammer still in the fight. Must be cool to pull up to a tanker and see one. What kind of cameras did you use? I'm digging the close up shots of the ground from orbit, especially at night.

four o two

None
Nice to see the Big Jammer still in the fight. Must be cool to pull up to a tanker and see one. What kind of cameras did you use? I'm digging the close up shots of the ground from orbit, especially at night.
Nice catch - those are the "Ataris" (Marines). They were good to work with out there. Being a prior Prowler guy, it brought a little tear to my eye. :)

Camera was a Sony A7Rii shot in 4K/100MBps, sLog2 picture profile, with various Zeiss glass (70-200mm/f4, 16-35mm/f4 and night shots were on my 55mm/f1.8 prime). Any wide-angle and typical GoPro-type shots (i.e. during cats, traps, etc.) are shot with a GoPro4 Black, 4K/24fps. Color correction and grading done in post.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sony is making some good stuff these days. Nice work. The one frustration I have with Canon DSLR video is focusing. How does the Sony do? Are you pulling manually, or does the AF keep up?

four o two

None
Sony is making some good stuff these days. Nice work. The one frustration I have with Canon DSLR video is focusing. How does the Sony do? Are you pulling manually, or does the AF keep up?
With the first batches of firmware out there, I was noticing a bit of lag and "seeking" a lot if I had auto focus enabled. The Sony gives a nice focus "peaking" display in the form of red/white/yellow (user-selectable) noise, which is very nice. However, with the newest firmware, auto focus is straight up baller. The three lenses I've used are native E-mounts, so the AF is crisp, quick, and with face detection and eye-tracking, it's tough to beat.

There are more focus modes to shake a stick at, but I usually keep it in zone/wide for landscapes and then flexible spots for faces using back buttons to lock onto faces as I take shots.

Tracking fast-moving targets I think will still be better with a DSL-R, but Sony is quickly closing the gap with these mirrorless cameras. Plus, it's SO much smaller - you can't beat the portability of the A7Rii right now.

...all just my opinions of course!

Just curious, what squadron was flying the Prowlers?
Guessing, but I think VMAQ-2?

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
^ Thanks, a good friend of mine is a plank owner for the Patriots, I remember when the squadron stood up. Good times! :)

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Wow, that picture quality was incredible. Really nice vid. Makes me want to spend $3k on the camera you mentioned.