• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vance Or Bust!!!

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
On another note, does one have to pay anything when they are required to live on base?

-jai5w4

Nope, the base housing gets your bah directly, and they're making a killing when they do.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Funny, all the talk about the color of the AF T-6's vs. the Navy 34's white/orange scheme. The Navy elected to keep their T-6's the same colors as the AF...

1053581.jpg

On another note, does one have to pay anything when they are required to live on base?

-jai5w4

It's because NFOs can't see anyway. OH!

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Meaning, say I get $850 for bah and live on base. The housing dept. gets that $850 without my ever seeing it. So, if you have say a 1 bd apt that is in a barracks, you're essentially paying $850 a month for that 1 room.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
What do you mean?

He means, the base gets all of our BAH... (Cause the Navy pays our BAH, and the AF just takes it directly before we see it)

And they charge you $606 [O-1 BAH here] for a closet-sized dorm room. I think. I don't know, they put that form in front of me and said "This is signing your BAH over to the Cherokee Lodge..." and I said... Where's my Navy Liason? I'm not signing anything.

Meanwhile, for only $44 more a month... I have a Three Bedroom 1400sqft house with a 2 car garage. And the dorms still require you to pay your own telephone/cable TV/internet bill. So its not like they're saving you any money. ((Most landlords around here cover the water, trash, and sometimes the electric))

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
He means, the base gets all of our BAH... (Cause the Navy pays our BAH, and the AF just takes it directly before we see it)

And they charge you $606 [O-1 BAH here] for a closet-sized dorm room. I think. I don't know, they put that form in front of me and said "This is signing your BAH over to the Cherokee Lodge..." and I said... Where's my Navy Liason? I'm not signing anything.

Meanwhile, for only $44 more a month... I have a Three Bedroom 1400sqft house with a 2 car garage. And the dorms still require you to pay your own telephone/cable TV/internet bill. So its not like they're saving you any money. ((Most landlords around here cover the water, trash, and sometimes the electric))

And may pay for half the rent if you save their daughters from the AF guys!!!!

OH!

And the dorms still require you to pay your own telephone/cable TV/internet bill. So its not like they're saving you any money.

Shouldn't we get SOME allowance to cover this "cost of living?" I mean, that stuff is typically covered by BAH anywhere else. If they aren't including it in the cost of "free" on-base living, shouldn't there be an allotment in our pay for it?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Shouldn't we get SOME allowance to cover this "cost of living?" I mean, that stuff is typically covered by BAH anywhere else. If they aren't including it in the cost of "free" on-base living, shouldn't there be an allotment in our pay for it?

Called BAS. Sorry, tax free doesn't cover Internet/cable/phone.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Called BAS. Sorry, tax free doesn't cover Internet/cable/phone.

I concur. You can't live without food or shelter (BAH/BAS). You can theoretically live without Cable/Internet/Telephone.

although, here's a bit of gouge for you STUPID Vance volunteers: they require you to get a local 580 telephone number. And yes, they will contact you on that number. (I just used Skype and routed it to my cell) but be prepared for it.

And in regards to internet... you can live without it... but the Navy/AF still expect you to check your .mil atleast once a day...
Anyway, you need to pay. Welcome to the Navy, and Officers are supposed to have oodles of cash.... so it's assumed you can deal with it. ((Since there's nothing to spend money on here... you will have tons of cash by the time you leave))

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Shouldn't we get SOME allowance to cover this "cost of living?" I mean, that stuff is typically covered by BAH anywhere else.

No where I've lived. BAH never covered my rent in my duty stations. It has covered my current mortgage, but only barley. Then again, I always lived by myself. And let's not forget the hookers and blow.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
No where I've lived. BAH never covered my rent in my duty stations. It has covered my current mortgage, but only barley. Then again, I always lived by myself. And let's not forget the hookers and blow.

That'll get you every time.

Fly took the words right out of my mouth.

I forgot about BAS. Makes sense.

BAH doesn't come close to covering our current pad. :) Wouldn't have it any other way in this town...

And as for coming to Vance; It's only six months, and attitude is everything.