• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

V-22 transition training

phrogpilot73

Knowing nothing about helos in the Navy... The transition to the V-22 is not an impact to a career. It is now controlled by the monitor, so a CH-46E pilot coming from a B billet can receive orders to a V-22 squadron and the transition that entails...

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Knowing nothing about helos in the Navy... The transition to the V-22 is not an impact to a career. It is now controlled by the monitor, so a CH-46E pilot coming from a B billet can receive orders to a V-22 squadron and the transition that entails...

Are you guys still training multi-service??

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Are you guys still training multi-service??

Not to threadjack excessively, but if by "multiservice" you mean Marine and Air Force, yes.

It's not like Rhino/legacy Hornet, though. 7532 (V-22) pilot is like getting the stink handshake from "Mallrats." No matter what you do, you can't get the smell off. You won't see the outside world for a long while.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to threadjack excessively, but if by "multiservice" you mean Marine and Air Force, yes.

It's not like Rhino/legacy Hornet, though. 7532 (V-22) pilot is like getting the stink handshake from "Mallrats." No matter what you do, you can't get the smell off. You won't see the outside world for a long while.

phrog-
I've heard a lot of rumors of a Navy guy going down and flying w/the FRS for a few years - sort of a try it out for the community. Have you ever heard of that? The reasoning was that they keep throwing the V-22 into the mix as a COD replacement, but want a COD guys take after flying it. Of course the AoA came out and ruled out the V-22 as a replacement, but the Navy has to do something with the ones they bought!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
phrog-
I've heard a lot of rumors of a Navy guy going down and flying w/the FRS for a few years - sort of a try it out for the community. Have you ever heard of that? The reasoning was that they keep throwing the V-22 into the mix as a COD replacement, but want a COD guys take after flying it. Of course the AoA came out and ruled out the V-22 as a replacement, but the Navy has to do something with the ones they bought!

So jet threads get threadjacked about FAR more interesting things like helos, I guess it's only fair that helo threads get jacked by V-22 discussions. Smiles in effect.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
phrog-

I split the thread to clean up the 60B discussion...

The Navy hasn't really "bought" any, excluding Pax River test birds and the fact the "Blue" dollars buy all Marine aircraft.

We've had a Navy helo bubba flying V-22s for a couple of years now. He's not a COD guy, so I don't know where they're going with that one. I don't think the Navy expects anyone other than actual test pilots to fly the Osprey from their end. They certainly haven't sent anyone to the River!

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I split the thread to clean up the 60B discussion...

The Navy hasn't really "bought" any, excluding Pax River test birds and the fact the "Blue" dollars buy all Marine aircraft.

We've had a Navy helo bubba flying V-22s for a couple of years now. He's not a COD guy, so I don't know where they're going with that one. I don't think the Navy expects anyone other than actual test pilots to fly the Osprey from their end. They certainly haven't sent anyone to the River!

I know they haven't sent anyone yet, but they keep saying that they are looking for someone to "go there" in the next year. I know blue dollars buy the aircraft for the Marine Corp however I had also been told that the Navy has committed for up to 35 to keep in the Navy...but then where would they put them?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
had also been told that the Navy has committed for up to 35 to keep in the Navy...quote]

I had read an article some time back, I think in Marine Times but I dont remember for sure, which stated all branches had purchased at least a few of them. While it was the Marines baby it gave a break down of how many birds were going where... I dont remember the exact number but I think the AF got roughly a hundred and the Navy and Army significantly less, maybe a dozen a piece?

I had assumed the Navy air craft were going to be used for SPECWAR but that was just my assumption.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
The Army got out of the program very early on. I'm pretty positive they have 0 airframes. They foresaw cost overruns and thought the payoff wasn't worth the benefit. Anecdotally, I'm told they didn't like the fact that the cabin was too narrow for their Ranger equivalent of our FAV. They do have 1 V-22 pilot I know of, but he's a test pilot.

The Navy may intend to get some someday, but since they have no pilots for them and the V-22 isn't mentioned in the Helo Master Plan, I don't know what they'd do with them. The COD replacement, maybe, but that's way far out, even in procurement years. All of them coming off the line are for the USAF and USMC.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Just to add an ignorant but curious observation in line with phrog's post above:

Since the Osprey folks do the FW multi training here at -35, they bring the Osprey up for a meet and greet every now and again. The last time they were here, they were handing out ready room posters which had some slogan to the effect of:

"You need 6 people, 10 sidewinders and 45 gallons of ice cream...and you need it now."

It also listed it as the HV-22...

Seems clear that they are pitching it as a COD alternative to the Navy. On a side note, I did my airnav solo up to Amarillo and it was neat to see several of them on the Bell Helo ramp up there.