• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navy Swimmer02

I have a question regarding my USNA application. In April of 2003 I enlisted in the Navy. About 3 months later a friend of mine showed me some info on the Naval Academy, and I was very impressed. I went ahead and filled out some forms and had two of my high school teachers give me excellent recommendations. I went ahead and sent that info into USNA and I tried to set up a medical physical and a BGO interview, when my GBO finally called me back he was very short with me and sounded like he didnt even want to talk with me. He then told me that my scores and grades were not good enough and that I should go ahead and give up. I was really bummed out about that I havent proceeded with any other forms since then. Since then A new BGO has taken over here in Oklahoma. I was wondering should I continue to finish my application or should I just continue to go enlisted and hope for a spot later on down the road? Currently I am a 19 year old sophomore at the University of Central Oklahoma and will be leaving for boot camp on January 21, 2004. Also what options do enlisted personnel have for applying to the Academy? Thanks for your help.

Crowbar

None
If you finish your application now, what's the worst that can happen? You get denied?

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
Good luck!

USMC1371

You can apply to the academy as an enlisted man. There was a guy I went to high school with that enlisted and was later accepted to the academy so its not impossible. As far as the details go, I am not up to date but I would start by talking to your career counselor or whatever the Navy calls it. Good luck.

Navy Swimmer02

yeah, my recruiter has mentioned that if i were to be accepted as an enlisted man i could go. but he seems reluctant to talk about that. hmmmmm.... I wonder why. Well I leave for boot camp in a couple of weeks I dont think I will have time to complete everything. I still need a nomination, physical, and interview. Right now I have enough to think about with preparing myself for boot camp and aircrew school. However, I do want to keep my options wide open. Thanks for all the great info. Keep it coming. I really appreciate it.

usmc03

Navy Swimmer02,

You can definately continue the application process to USNA with the situation you're in. I graduated from USNA and had plenty of classmates who were prior enlisted. Some were in the fleet before the ever applied, while others began applying before boot camp, like yourself.

The B&G officer is a great help in dealing with the complicated admissions process. If you are not getting the needed help from your B&G officer, contact the admissions department directly and ask for help. You want to have as many wrinkles as possible ironed out before you head to boot camp, since you will have little time then.

The KEY is extreme pro-activity on your part. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Status
Not open for further replies.