• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Exchange Tour Opportunities

bluemarlin04

Until recently, I managed a large program at a 3 letter agency. One of my team leads under me was a guy whose wife was Russian, and once a Russian citizen. His clearance wasn’t a problem at all, and they didn’t hassle him any more than the rest of us.
So?

You ever think there’s a chance there is other programs out there?

And perhaps this wasn’t a “three letter agency” and was an actual military unit?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

PEPfromage

Nursing the gout.
pilot
You'd think that clearance acquisition and renewal process would have seen some more wholesale changes in the last ten or so years. I went about all the Navy paperwork that is involved with requesting to marry a foreign national (varies by fleet by the way), and had a pro-active conversation with my security manager well in advance about what needed to get done in order to remain compliant. Months later, I finally got a call from one of the investigators who wanted me to travel to the other side of the country to come speak with him for an interview, because he was apparently too busy to come to me. Even knowing they were contractors from varied backgrounds, I was always struck by how little any of them seemed to know about government jobs or the military, and how much they reminded me of phys ed teachers I had in middle school.

There are frequently some operational down sides to PEP tours, but not all of them. Usually, the lifestyle experience more than compensates for the people who seek these tours out to begin with. There was one guy I met at DLI who had an even better deal than I did - albeit by only a smidge. He was a VFA pilot flying hornets with the Swiss Air Force for a couple of years. Only problem was, we taught him bratwurst at Monterey, and they should have been apparently teaching him baguette. He showed up to the squadron, gave a big guten morgan, and got a bunch of bonjours in return. Facepalm.

Notanaviator

Contributor
Only problem was, we taught him bratwurst at Monterey, and they should have been apparently teaching him baguette. He showed up to the squadron, gave a big guten morgan, and got a bunch of bonjours in return. Facepalm.

This cracks me up. That must have been some fun flying- they do topography pretty well in those parts.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Indeed. In addition to their well-deserved reputation for crafting superior timepieces, the Swiss are also known for their highly accurate maps.

Just don't expect it to be cheap. I ordered lunch in Luzern and it cost me 70 francs for a bowl of soup, a plate of french fries, and a beer. Albeit, this was on top of Mount Pilatus, so I imagine it's expensive to trek all of that food up there. Either way, Switzerland is muy expensive.

Meyerkord

pilot
Just don't expect it to be cheap. I ordered lunch in Luzern and it cost me 70 francs for a bowl of soup, a plate of french fries, and a beer. Albeit, this was on top of Mount Pilatus, so I imagine it's expensive to trek all of that food up there. Either way, Switzerland is muy expensive.
The restaurant has a heck of a view, too. That place was awesome.

Notanaviator

Contributor
I can't recommend Montreux/Lavaux Vineyards highly enough. One of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Switzerland is awesome - I travel to Zurich for work - and can attest to its pricey cost of living. The possibilities of harnessing gravity to make basically free energy are unknown in many countries.

My favorite Swiss drink: