• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhatFarmer35

Hello:

I know this form is mostly about the Naval Academy but I had a few questions about the Merchent Marine Academy I was hoping someone could answer.

1.) I know USMMA graduates can go into any service of the armed forces. When during their time at USMMA do they choose which service they go into?

2.) Is the pilot selection process the same as if I were in NROTC at a civilian college? Also would I be able to apply for pilot slots in more than one service (USN, USAF, USMC)?

3.) Can you serve in any Reserve or National Guard units while attending USMMA?

4.) Is there a specfic major at USMMA that is prefered when applying for a pilot slot (engineering, ect)?

Thank you for your help.

T.M.Gray

Note: Everything is changing, so don't assume that what's true today will be the case in four years. This is how things are now.
Every couple of months there is a Military Information (Milinfo) night at which several branches or warfare specialties will present their respective programs. Most Marine Corps and Air Force "option" students decide early on and pursue their option throughout their academy experience. They participate in summer programs, etc. Since Naval Science is an integral part of the USMMA program, Navy and Coast Guard applictions can be done much later...say fall of first class year. Not sure about Army, although I suspect an early commitment might open warfare specialties like Artillery which would be closed out by senior year. By then Engineers and Transportation would likely be the only options.
Pilot selection is not the same as ROTC. I don't know about Air Force, but Navy flight school selection is from a separate quota. Although a relatively small quota, the applicant pool is likewise small. This quota is open to applicants from Kings Point plus all state maritime schools (Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Texas and California). There may be other outside-DOD sources,too. Nevertheless, the number of applicants from these other sources is so small that most or all spots wind up being filled by Kings Pointers. In the past just about all Kings Pointers who were fully qualified were offered slots in Navy flight school. That is no longer the case. In the good old days KP would send 20+ SNAs to Pensacola. Now, with retention running high, intake from all sources is down. Rumor has it that there will be somewhere in the vicinity of 10 to 15 SNA slots and a similar number of SNFO slots in the near future.
You will not have a chance to serve in the reserves or guard while a midshipman at KP.
There are only 6 majors at KP: three in engineering and three in marine transportation. There does not seem to be a preferred major for Navy pilot candidates. Can't speak for Air Force.
Check my thread "America's Best Kept Secret" under "Academy" on this forum.
KP is a great choice. Acta non Verba.

PhatFarmer35

Thank you for replying.

So there really is no set date where you need to decided which branch of the military you want to go into, but sooner you decide the better? While at USMMA could I apply to pilot slots in more than one branch of the military?

You said that in the past they could sent up to 20+ SNAs to Pensacola. During that time about how many students applied for SNA slots? Also, in the future you said the number would drop to about 10-15 SNAs sent to Pensacola. Is the number of students expecting to apply for pilot slots suppose to decilne and that is why, or is it because there are going to be fewer pilot slots?

Thank you again for replying.

bigpete

I am in Pensacola right now waiting to start API. I just graduated from USMMA in '03. There is no set date to decide whether or not you are going active duty, but most people decide halfway through their junior year since it takes a while for physicals and such. You can still apply for flight slots in other branches but it is much more difficult than getting navy flight. On average they do send about 20 SNA's from the Academy, but last year there was only about 12 SNA's and 5 NFO's. This is because of the demand from the navy, not because of less students applying. Each year only about 20 people apply for flight school, so you can see that you have pretty good odds of getting it. You can apply for marine corps flight, but I would make up your mind after your first couple years there. And make sure this is something you really want to do because life is gonna suck for four years.

PhatFarmer35

Thank you for replying.

Would I also apply for pilot slots during my junior year at USMMA? If I wanted to apply for pilot slots in say the Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force, would I be able to do that all at the same time?

From the time you applied to for SNA, how long did it take you to find out you were accepted?

Also, I've able to get an idea as to what USMMA is like when it comes to academics and things like that, but could you give me an idea of what it is like when it comes to having free time or things like that? During freshmen year I can assume you must not get a lot of time off, but what about the upperclassmen?

Thank you again for replying.

bigpete

You don't actually technically apply for a navy flight slot until your senior (1st class) year. You will however need to take the ASTB and get a physical your junior year. I recommend trying to get an internship with a navy squadron the summer between your junior and senior year.

There is a Department of Naval Science at the Academy that handles all the recruiting and thus naval aviators. There is a commander there, a couple LT's and a chief. They will keep you informed of what you need to do and when. Starting your sophomore year you should attend military info nights and get in touch with the Department of naval science and let them know you are thinking about being a pilot.

As far as applying for different branches, I would choose one. You should have a really good idea of which branch you would like to go to by your junior year. I have never heard of anyone applying for more than one branch and the interviewers might look down upon that.

Your freshman year will suck until you get recognized in March or April. The amount of free time you get really depends on whether you are an engineer or deckie. Deckies have way more free time, but they arent as marketable ashore. Your sophomore and junior year you will have more time and yuo will also sail around the world which is pretty damn cool. Your senior year can be pretty tough if your an engineer, not so bad if you are a deckie. There is a hell of a lot to do around the school. NYC is a drunken 30 min train ride away.

bigpete

There was an even mix of deckies and engineers who went navy flight as of last year. One does not really have preference over the other.

As far as summer cruises, there is no program in place to do this. However, you are required to do a 2 week internship during one of your sea semesters. One of the options is to do this internship with a navy squadron or on a naval vessel. Several of my friends went on carriers and I did mine with an S-3 squadron in North Island. This is all arranged through the Department of Naval Science at the Academy mentioned above.

Josh04

Stashed SNA - NRD Chicago
If you go to USMMA and want to experience life out in the fleet you are allowed to do up to 30 days onboard a U.S. Navy vessel. The LT's in the Department of Naval Science will work with you to get it arranged so that you can sail on a ship of your choosing (or at least a ship within a class of your choosing). All this is then done as part of your 1 year sea-year requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.