• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC 'O' promotion info

FLY_USMC

pilot
So I read the Marine Corps Times article about 6 months ago talking about certain O-2's being in zone for O-3 a year early due to the increased number of O-5's yada yada yada. SSOOO I look at the Maradmin that came out a couple days ago, and sure as shiat I'm in zone for O-3 after being O-2 for barely a year, almost less. Question, I follow the instructions on the Maradmin and I put in my package for O-3, keeping in mind I have no idea what I'm doing and am going to talk to admin after Christmas. The question is does everybody in zone pick up O-3? Do they go by TBS lineal standing or what? If not everybody does, how many typically get selected? When realistically would you pin it on if the board meets Jan 30th? If it's TBS lineal, I think I'm $$, but we'll see. Kind of exciting, I like pay increases.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Marines are Captains and First Lieutenants. Use the rank. Not the paygrade. You're not in the air force.

The bar for Captain is sufficiently low. Not a convicted felon or a total douchbag and you're in. I know 2 people who weren't selected for Captain. Ever. You'll be fine. Nice pay bump, too.

Good luck!

phrogpilot73

The bar for Captain is sufficiently low. Not a convicted felon or a total douchbag and you're in. I know 2 people who weren't selected for Captain. Ever. You'll be fine. Nice pay bump, too.
Me too. One was a DUI, the other was banging a Cpl. I even knew dudes who didn't submit a picture who got selected. Maj on the other hand, they had to go 10 months deep this year I hear... Not that it matters to me - it looks like I'll probably be on the Jan '09 Reserve Majors board...

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Me too. One was a DUI, the other was banging a Cpl. I even knew dudes who didn't submit a picture who got selected. Maj on the other hand, they had to go 10 months deep this year I hear... Not that it matters to me - it looks like I'll probably be on the Jan '09 Reserve Majors board...

I heard that selection was "up" this year. "Up" from what %, I don't know. I'll let you know when the board comes out how low the bar was set.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Wow, checked out the range and I was about two weeks away from being in ... crazy. Do they start next year from the most junior 1stLt DOR and go from there? I guess what I am asking is should I be betting on being in zone?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Question, I follow the instructions on the Maradmin and I put in my package for O-3, keeping in mind I have no idea what I'm doing and am going to talk to admin after Christmas.

Marines actually have to put a package in for Capt?! I had to do a grand total of nothing to get promoted, except what MB did.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Marines actually have to put a package in for Capt?! I had to do a grand total of nothing to get promoted, except what MB did.

Send in a picture and make sure your record isn't AFU. Basically just make sure your crap is as much in order as it normally should be. Nothing special.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Send in a picture and make sure your record isn't AFU. Basically just make sure your crap is as much in order as it normally should be. Nothing special.

Ahhhhhh, okay. My Ensign photo had to do for mine, I didn't update the photo for 9 years.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
I got advised today to check on my OMPF (Official Military Personnel File). Don't have it with me, but I'll see if I can post my promotion gouge up here sometime.

JTD

ArkhamAsylum I wouldn't bother, I think an FAA flight violation ranks up there with a felony conviction.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot

What sort of timeline do we need to send in the picture? What MARADMIN exactly will show us if we are withing range for the next board?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor