• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Human Intel

STARFlight145

I have a friend, a Marine-option midshipman, and she told me that Human Intel opened up to females and that's really where she wants to go when she commissions. Unfortunately, she knows very little about it. I know nothing about it, so I'm seeing if I can use the resource that is AirWarriors.

Does anyone know the path one must take to make it into Marine Corps Human Intel? What are the requirements? I know that it's restricted line for the Navy, how would a commissioned Marine officer make it into this community?

sanders

The path you take to get to human intel? Put it number one on your MOS preference list at TBS. You have to do pretty well if you want a chance of getting it. Let her know that a typical TBS company (280 LT's) will only have around 2 human intel slots.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I have a friend, a Marine-option midshipman, and she told me that Human Intel opened up to females and that's really where she wants to go when she commissions. Unfortunately, she knows very little about it. I know nothing about it, so I'm seeing if I can use the resource that is AirWarriors.

Does anyone know the path one must take to make it into Marine Corps Human Intel? What are the requirements? I know that it's restricted line for the Navy, how would a commissioned Marine officer make it into this community?

You put it on your dream sheet at TBS just like any other MOS. There are no guarantees..

Human Intel is not a restricted line MOS in the Marine Corps. In fact, I don't think there are any restricted line MOSs for officers (not warrant officers) in the Marine Corps. Even the JAGs have to go to TBS.

STARFlight145

Thank you all for your answers. Is there anything she should or could be doing right now in college and in the NROTC program to better her chances?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Thank you all for your answers. Is there anything she should or could be doing right now in college and in the NROTC program to better her chances?

Nope.

It's all about TBS rank and what third you finish in for the quality spread.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The micro-MOSs are always hit and miss. Whereas, if one were to use the dreaded percentages (and I'm purely using these as an example) the chance of getting an infantry slot for a given individual might go from 55% to 60% to 52% over a few years, the chance of getting one of the smaller ones if you put it on your sheet might be 80% for one class, but 0% for another, and you don't know which it will be.

On the other hand if ANY intel slot is good enough, then between Air, SIGINT, and Humint (ground still off limits to females), she probably has a good shot at one of them, if not her first choice.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot

Working out (primarily running).

It's much easier for females to run a 300 PFT than it is for a male...just saying. That PFT will help tremendously at TBS with ranking, easily pulling her into the top 25% if she's not retarded on the academic side. The rest will take care of itself as long as she's capable of giving an order and her platoon respects her...not an easy thing to do, but doable. The PFT will be a huge help in the standings though.

STARFlight145

Working out (primarily running).

It's much easier for females to run a 300 PFT than it is for a male...just saying. That PFT will help tremendously at TBS with ranking, easily pulling her into the top 25% if she's not retarded on the academic side. The rest will take care of itself as long as she's capable of giving an order and her platoon respects her...not an easy thing to do, but doable. The PFT will be a huge help in the standings though.

I will pass this along to her. She's a hard charger. I'm sure she'll do well in most, if not all, aspects.

As far as the rest of it, just sounds like she needs to ace TBS and hope and pray that she gets what she wants. Again, the information is much appreciated, thank you everyone.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Things may have changed, but when I was going through TBS you didn't get to put down a specific intel on your dream sheet, you just got to put down intel. And IF you got intel there was a separate dream sheet of the 4 specific intels. So she could be a rock star, get intel and get stuck with signals/air intel.

I would suggest that she learn the language as well. It's a little naive to think that the powers-that-be are going to force a fluent speaking 2ndLt who asked for intel first into Adj unless she's a turd. I would also remind/inform her that all intel officers become generic "MAGTF" intel officers shortly after picking up Capt. And from then on it's nothing more than making powerpoint presentations for generals. And if she want to know more about what that job's like, I'm pretty sure there's an article from an Army Colonel detailing it specifically floating around on the internets somewhere.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Things may have changed, but when I was going through TBS you didn't get to put down a specific intel on your dream sheet, you just got to put down intel. And IF you got intel there was a separate dream sheet of the 4 specific intels. So she could be a rock star, get intel and get stuck with signals/air intel.

I would suggest that she learn the language as well. It's a little naive to think that the powers-that-be are going to force a fluent speaking 2ndLt who asked for intel first into Adj unless she's a turd. I would also remind/inform her that all intel officers become generic "MAGTF" intel officers shortly after picking up Capt. And from then on it's nothing more than making powerpoint presentations for generals. And if she want to know more about what that job's like, I'm pretty sure there's an article from an Army Colonel detailing it specifically floating around on the internets somewhere.

When I went through (Delta 09) they had each individual intel slot selectable. Some guys top 4 were all intel slots, as a result many of them got #6,7 or 8...

Good point on the MAGTF Intel O MOS. "They" made it a big point to tell us that all intel MOS's end up in the same place.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would suggest that she learn the language as well. It's a little naive to think that the powers-that-be are going to force a fluent speaking 2ndLt who asked for intel first into Adj unless she's a turd.

You haven't been in the military that long, have you? In reality unless she picks up Arabic, Pashto, Dari/Farsi or some other flavor of the month language it will likely not be much of a factor in what kind of intel you get, if you get it in the first place.

I would also remind/inform her that all intel officers become generic "MAGTF" intel officers shortly after picking up Capt. And from then on it's nothing more than making powerpoint presentations for generals. And if she want to know more about what that job's like, I'm pretty sure there's an article from an Army Colonel detailing it specifically floating around on the internets somewhere.

While .ppt is a big part of any staff officer's job it is not the only thing, including for intel types. There are good intel jobs out there for O-3's and above, especially if you are willing to go downrange. I have known several intel O's, including Marines, who spent almost their whole time outside the wire when deployed. Being an 'ops' guy is still a lot more fun but Intel isn't all ppt and staff work.