• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USCG to USN lateral transfer (SNA/NFO)

mb1685

(Scroll down if you want to jump straight to the questions with no background info)

I've got some questions about the hypothetical situation of an SNA (or NA) lateral transfer from the Coast Guard to the Navy. I've done as much searching as I could and have only found discussions about the reverse situation (Navy to USCG). I would greatly appreciate any information and insight that could be provided.

Background info:

I attended Navy OCS with an SNA slot at the beginning of this year, and while I was there, my wife had some issues with her pregnancy (severe risk for pre-term labor) and was ordered strict bedrest. Because we unfortunately didn't have a sufficient support system in place to reliably provide even basic necessities like groceries, I felt I had no real choice but to come home, so I DOR'd. The OCS chain of command was very understanding of my situation and many of them told me they'd love to have me back, and a fairly high up member of the COC (specific details withheld for privacy reasons) told me I could get in touch with him if I had any trouble re-applying. I haven't seen my DD785 yet but I was told that I would be marked Recommended (although I am not sure if it will be "Highly Recommended" or "Recommended as an Average Candidate" -- I assume the latter since I was not in the program for very long). Unfortunately I was in the last class that would have worked for me and I turned 27 last month.

Luckily, our baby was born full-term and is healthy. I would still like to pursue my dream of becoming a military aviator, and I am especially drawn to naval aviation. Although I know non-prior age waivers for SNA and NFO are practically impossible, I am in the process of attempting to contact that COC member and seeing if he would be willing to write a letter recommending a waiver for me. I know that NRC might not care what anyone else has to say, and I know that my chances are essentially zero since they practically never budge on age waivers and have a constant stream of SNA and NFO applicants (not to mention a DOR looks bad enough on its own), but I figure it won't hurt to try for the waiver since I've got nothing to really lose.

If I am not eligible to go the Navy route (which I'm expecting), I would like to apply for Coast Guard OCS and compete for an aviation slot there. Although I would be extremely thrilled to be a military aviator in any branch, I am (at least in theory) really drawn to the Navy's mission and aircraft. A lateral transfer to the Navy isn't something I'm dead set on; I'm just curious about the idea. If I am fortunate enough to become a USCG SNA, I'm sure there's a very significant possibility that by that point I won't even be entertaining this idea anymore and will be so thrilled that I won't want to jump ship. This is just curiosity and I'm not a selfish, clueless brat thinking he has some kind of master plan to get around the Navy's age limits (and I have absolutely no ill will about the prospect of being a USCG aviator -- I think I'm still just a little disappointed that I was so close to being a Navy SNA).

Questions:

1. Is it possible for a Navy student naval aviator or winged naval aviator to laterally transfer to the USCG? I assume this requires a conditional release from the USCG.

2. I know that USCG SNAs undergo Primary flight training with Navy SNAs, so a lateral transfer before Advanced wouldn't really change much. At what stages could lateral transfers happen (and if they're technically possible at many stages, which ones are more likely to be facilitated)? Could a USCG aviator transfer between Primary and Advanced and stay on track for a Navy aircraft pipeline? Or is it more likely that a USCG aviator would put in at least a few years of flying after training, and then either fly the same aircraft (if it is flown by the Navy) or undergo more training to fly a Navy-specific aircraft?

3. If I were selected to be a USCG SNA, is there a risk of backlash, negative reputation, etc. if I expressed interest in a lateral transfer but it didn't work out? Would it be a better idea to just shut up and color and not risk being perceived as being ungrateful or selfish (and therefore possibly face negative career implications)?

Last edited:

croakerfish

pilot
The Coast Guard get a large chunk of its pilots from other services in the first place, and most of the rest (usually Coast Guard Academy grads) serve a tour as a SWO-type before flight school. If they pick you up off the street, the odds of them entertaining the idea of losing you to the Navy is slim at best.
Non-standard things like this are always technically possible, but they require a lot of people willing to put in some serious heavy lifting on your behalf. A good example would be the CoC at OCS working to get you an age waiver to come back after your perfectly understandable DOR. A bad example would be your CG leadership working a deal to get you out of their pipeline and into a completely different branch because you think you'd like it better...

If I were you, I'd push to get back into Navy OCS and maybe start talking to the Coast Guard as a fallback. If you get picked back up for Navy OCS, never look back, and vice versa.

mb1685

The Coast Guard get a large chunk of its pilots from other services in the first place, and most of the rest (usually Coast Guard Academy grads) serve a tour as a SWO-type before flight school. If they pick you up off the street, the odds of them entertaining the idea of losing you to the Navy is slim at best.
Non-standard things like this are always technically possible, but they require a lot of people willing to put in some serious heavy lifting on your behalf. A good example would be the CoC at OCS working to get you an age waiver to come back after your perfectly understandable DOR. A bad example would be your CG leadership working a deal to get you out of their pipeline and into a completely different branch because you think you'd like it better...

If I were you, I'd push to get back into Navy OCS and maybe start talking to the Coast Guard as a fallback. If you get picked back up for Navy OCS, never look back, and vice versa.

Thank you very much for the reply. That sounds plenty reasonable to me and I will make that my game plan.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
USCG to USN transfers have happened in the past but they have been rare and on a case by case basis, it is not a viable or realistic path to getting into the Navy via a side door.

mb1685

Understood. Thank you, gentlemen. I would be thrilled to serve in either branch and am not looking for a backdoor into the Navy, just a little curious. I really appreciate your insights.

Whitefoot

None
Shoot me a PM if you like. Prior CG enlisted went Navy NFO. Still have friends in CG aviation. I could probably give you some more insight, answer some questions. Or cause more questions ....

mb1685

Shoot me a PM if you like. Prior CG enlisted went Navy NFO. Still have friends in CG aviation. I could probably give you some more insight, answer some questions. Or cause more questions ....

Thank you for the assistance! I don't have any more questions at the moment (just pondering) but I will definitely contact you if anything comes to mind.

TEP801

While I was in Cape May, I specifically asked about something fairly similar during the rare time we had an opportunity to in class and where not getting...... One of my goals is to become a Naval Test Pilot. While there is a slight slight slight possibility of being able to lat. transfer into a naval flight spot as an NFO or SNA. Probably best to do that from the beginning either through NROTC, or applying to get into OCS.

From what I was told, the only "lateral transfers" that don't seem like complete pipe dreams are doing a Foreign exchange tour with the another country which is very rare, getting selected for Naval test pilot school which is rare, or getting selected for the astronaut candidate program when that board gets put out every few years.

Also for most of these, a bachelors in engineering, physics, math, science(chemistry/biology) etc..... is a requirement.