• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USCG C2

jointhelocalizer

pilot
Hey everyone,

Came across an article talking about how the Navy could help the CG out by giving them their retiring E-2Cs. As far as I am aware, there are no organic C2 platforms in the CG vice the C-130s who provide comms support on long range SAR cases. Do people think there is a need for an organic C2 platform for stuff like surface contact searches, narcotics tracking, and SAR or does the C-130 do the job sufficiently/ are USCG assets (HITRON for example) pretty self-sufficient. I know the E-2/CGFO program existed a few decades ago and saw its demise via the NAS Roosevelt Roads mishap. Any thoughts on this?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Hey everyone,

Came across an article talking about how the Navy could help the CG out by giving them their retiring E-2Cs. As far as I am aware, there are no organic C2 platforms in the CG vice the C-130s who provide comms support on long range SAR cases. Do people think there is a need for an organic C2 platform for stuff like surface contact searches, narcotics tracking, and SAR or does the C-130 do the job sufficiently/ are USCG assets (HITRON for example) pretty self-sufficient. I know the E-2/CGFO program existed a few decades ago and saw its demise via the NAS Roosevelt Roads mishap. Any thoughts on this?
Old stuff. The USCG and US Customs both used E-2 aircraft. Indeed, the CG once had it’s own CGFO program. Custom’s decided the P-3 was a better platform and a E-2 crash back in the 90’s caused the CG to give up on the platform. This was about the same time the CG was also sending volunteers to SEAL training.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Hey everyone,

You can see a picture of one the boneyard here: BuNo 160415.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The CG could bring back not only the E-2C’s, but the S-3B and F-14D’s as well. This would give them a 42% increase in long range C2 and Counter Narcotics detection and interdiction capability . . . .
Oh, FFS!

On a serious note, considerations would be aircrew training, standing up a maintenance capability, and ensuring the parts & logistics piece is in place. Presumably, they could piggyback on to USN FRS - at least initially. Standing up a Mx Dept and the supply piece from scratch will be a challenge.

BarryD

Contributor
If they could put them at a NAS they could try to steal flight line support from an FRC. Not sure how the whole O-level thing would work, unless they contracted that out.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The CG could bring back not only the E-2C’s, but the S-3B and F-14D’s as well. This would give them a 42% increase in long range C2 and Counter Narcotics detection and interdiction capability . . . .
The CG B-17s provided a superb range capability that hasn't existed since. They should look at contracting from the CAF for longer range SAR. Or it would probably be pretty easy to get Boeing to restart the production line.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The CG B-17s provided a superb range capability that hasn't existed since. They should look at contracting from the CAF for longer range SAR. Or it would probably be pretty easy to get Boeing to restart the production line.
I guess we'll forget about the A-12

#flyingdorito
#allgrummancoastguardairwing
#hashtag

BenDog

Dont forget.....CAF has a 29 as well. The mod's look easy enough. Friends of Doc would probably be interested as well......

Attachments

• Boeing_SB-29.jpg
    Boeing_SB-29.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 10

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hey everyone,

Forgetting the E-2 portion of your question, yes, having a SSC asset is helpful. The C-130 doesn't do it all for CIT ops (since you metioned HITRON). Everyone provides service to everyone down there, so on any given day, the airplan will have a random assortment aircraft flying from various agencies, all with varying capabilities. High boys will cue the low boys, regardless of agency.

robav8r

None
Contributor
There is a lot of synergy that could be garnered from a B-17/S-3 High, Low Boy tactic utilizing the F-14's to rapidly investigate datums and sanitizing search areas. I think the maintenance and training issues are miniscule when compared to what the drug cartels and other nefarious actors would think when watching the B-17/S-3/F-14 trifecta scour their skies and drug routes.