• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USCG Attitude/Personality?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Ok! Time for another random Eddie question (take advantage of the new Coastie members...).

As services (I'm not talking about individuals here so much, more generalities), the Navy and the Marine Corps each have their own way of doing things, and have developed different attitudes, or "personalities" based on their missions.

What is the Coast Guard like, in this sense, in comparrison to the Navy or Corps?

(What prompted this question for me was that my cousin went to both USNA and USCGA summer programs. Her comments: Navy was more physically demanding, Coast Guard was more mentally frustrating and challenging. I said to myself: "I wonder if that reveals any truths to the different services' cultures?")

sardaddy

pilot
That is a tough comparison as I have never been in the other services. However, I was once told by an older CG pilot that "the Coast Guard is just a bunch of civilians who don't mind getting military pay." While it isn't entirely accurate, it does paint a good picture.

My general opinion of the Coast Guard vs other services is that the Coast Guard is structured in a way that more of the decision making process is pushed down to the lowest possible level. I.e. there are E-4s deciding the fate of many on our small boats. Whereas the other services tend to make decisions at a much higher level and expect the lower ranks to execute that decision.

Here is a very poor example of what I am trying to say. During hurricane Katrina, As Coast Guard pilots we were told "Go do good things" and we jumped in the aircraft and went on our way making decisions as we went. Other services who got into the mission did good things as well but only after getting a complete briefing of the OP area, being told what sectors they needed to cover, how the missions would be completed, full ophazard plans, completing wire recons and briefings up the wazoo.

Both ways work, but to me that is the biggest difference. Maybe that is why your cousin found it mentally challenging. It is interesting that your cousin said that as I find that most CGA graduates are mentally challenged too.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
sardaddy said:
I find that most CGA graduates are mentally challenged too.
I'll make sure to tell her that before she makes her acceptance decision! :D

Thanks for the info.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I went to both summer programs as well... and what your cousin said is absolutely correct.

What made me pick Navy? In the end, I felt that the jobs available to me in Navy were ones I'd enjoy more than those in the Coast Guard. One thing that I seemed to notice about the Coast Guard similar to the Marines is that they have a big sense of "esprit de corps;" they are very tightly knit.

But I don't think that Navy isn't mentally challenging. In fact, the Navy Summer Seminar was more designed to show you what life could be like at USNA with only a couple days and sections devoted to showing you what "Plebe" life is like; whereas AIM at USCGA is specifically designed to put you in a Swab (Plebe) and Engineering Environment. I loved both programs and it made my decisions that much tougher because I thought USCGA was a really great place. I saw some incredible leadership at both places and admired both Midshipmen and Cadets (Kay-dets!).

Good luck to your cousin, I've been in her shoes... it's a tough decision.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that it was my life dream to be a Naval Officer, not a Coast Guard one... but it really did make me question that, I can say that.

Coppertop222

I've lived around MC bases and have worked with the navy quite a bit since joining the coast guard and the differences that I see is that the Coast guard takes care of it's people a lot better, especially the junior members. While the CG is selective, it is a very small tight knit organization that prides itself on doing more with less.

I know that many coasties down here call flight training the navy appreciation tour, as you appreciate the fact that you aren't in it!

I don't know personally yet about that, but I have seen that it does seem to be a better way of life comparatively to the navy.:icon_smil