• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF to USN Inter-Service Transfer for Color Vision

JVA

For starters, I really appreciate the sharing of these experiences. It sheds light on what is to come for myself. I am a civilian CSO select for USAF OTS, and I am currently awaiting an official DQ for a mild color deficiency from the CCT. My desired back up career was also to become an Flight Test Engineer (via TPS). Is it true that I'm also DQ'd from being an FTE in the USAF as well? Could someone share the regs for that? I've been scouring the web for the FCIII standards, and haven't come up with anything clear.

I was in a similar position with Pilot for AF OTS. I had gotten 90's on my greens for each eye, they just weren't on the same test, and the closest I got was 70/70 in each eye. Navy only requires 55 for each eye, all three colors according to the waiver guide. But the AF flight surgeon told me they were only waiving color vision for RPA at this point in time, so I would have been disqualified for flight engineer, and thus FTE. Navy medical said I was good to go after my DQ, and got pro-red Y for SNA a few weeks ago.

cteaford

So I am in a very similar situation and am trying to work my way out of the Air Force and into the Navy to fly. I got DQ'd on green color deficiency from the new CCT test at the end of my junior year of school and immediately began searching for other options. Found out that only the service academies can cross commission so I figured I'd do my time and look into it after. Once I learned about the conditional release, I've been in a hurried state of doing anything and everything I can to make this dream a reality. After months of searching, I finally found the FALANT test at Ft Sam in TX and passed! Now I'm prepping for the ASTB and if I score competitively, I'll talk to my commander about getting a tentative release approval. Hopefully the AF cuts will work in my favor if all goes well!

Can anyone provide some information on what competitive scores would be on the ASTB? I've seen lots of scores posted but didn't see many results and a lot of the posts weren't going for SNA. I hear the Navy is in need of aviators currently so I don't know if it's a little more flexible now...

Also, does anyone have information on anything else I will have to submit to the boards in April, aside from test scores and passing physical requirements? I know a lot of folks on here were submitting to get into OCS requiring LORs, GPA, and whatnot but I'm already commissioned ROTC grad and wouldn't have to go that exact route.

Reading this thread is down right inspiring.. I received a pilot slot in the Spring of 2013 my Junior year of USAF ROTC and took the physical the following November at WPAFB. I was DQ'd after taking the CCT test for red deficiency (65 and 55 for L&R eyes). Like most, this blind-sided me as I already had my PPL and a current FAA physical...dreams crushed. I commissioned as a 21A (Mx Officer) and have done 3.5 years, looking to throw on Capt this coming June 2018. I've taken the CCT multiple times thinking it was a fluke I failed, but all proved that I was deficient. AF civ Doc here recommended looking into the Navy and I'm sold.

mareid2, I've read this thread what feels like a 100 times and would love to mirror your process on the inter-service transfer. If you don't mind, I would love to chat offline and understand the process more. I've familiarized myself with the MILPERMAN 1300-082, but would love to dig deeper with how you went about obtaining the required info. Congrats again on the transition!

exNavyOffRec

Reading this thread is down right inspiring.. I received a pilot slot in the Spring of 2013 my Junior year of USAF ROTC and took the physical the following November at WPAFB. I was DQ'd after taking the CCT test for red deficiency (65 and 55 for L&R eyes). Like most, this blind-sided me as I already had my PPL and a current FAA physical...dreams crushed. I commissioned as a 21A (Mx Officer) and have done 3.5 years, looking to throw on Capt this coming June 2018. I've taken the CCT multiple times thinking it was a fluke I failed, but all proved that I was deficient. AF civ Doc here recommended looking into the Navy and I'm sold.

mareid2, I've read this thread what feels like a 100 times and would love to mirror your process on the inter-service transfer. If you don't mind, I would love to chat offline and understand the process more. I've familiarized myself with the MILPERMAN 1300-082, but would love to dig deeper with how you went about obtaining the required info. Congrats again on the transition!

This thread has good info for you, just be aware that an IST is a few and far between thing and the longer you are in another service the lower the chances get, so move fast!

cteaford

This thread has good info for you, just be aware that an IST is a few and far between thing and the longer you are in another service the lower the chances get, so move fast!
I’m going as
I appreciate that. I was able to speak with the Aviation Community Manager. He said the same thing.. He explained that being I have zero military aviation experience, I would require a complete course of instruction for initial flight training.

That could be four years in length at the current production timeline.

My years of commissioned service in addition to the time to complete initial flight training results in eight years of commissioned service before arriving at my first fleet squadron. My first look for promotion to Lieutenant Commander (governed by Year Group) would occur before completing or immediately after completing a single assignment in the Navy (in comparison with my peers in aviation who have completed three tours - and peers in the surface warfare community who may have completed five tours).

I believe the man, but it baffles me that it takes 4 years to get through pilot training, your airframe training, and then on to your first assignment. Can anyone attest to this?

Wareal

Contributor
I’m going as

I appreciate that. I was able to speak with the Aviation Community Manager. He said the same thing.. He explained that being I have zero military aviation experience, I would require a complete course of instruction for initial flight training.

My years of commissioned service in addition to the time to complete initial flight training results in eight years of commissioned service before arriving at my first fleet squadron. My first look for promotion to Lieutenant Commander (governed by Year Group) would occur before completing or immediately after completing a single assignment in the Navy (in comparison with my peers in aviation who have completed three tours - and peers in the surface warfare community who may have completed five tours).

I believe the man, but it baffles me that it takes 4 years to get through pilot training, your airframe training, and then on to your first assignment. Can anyone attest to this?

My son began IFS July 2013 and patched into his first squadron February 2017. Not 4 years, but close. He flies.....jets.

Python

pilot
Contributor
My son began IFS July 2013 and patched into his first squadron February 2017. Not 4 years, but close. He flies.....jets.

I’m going as

Commissioned May 09. Fleet Aug 13. No med down or anything strange personally to cause that. I fly jets.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Yes. These days, we have more LTs checking into the fleet (indicating they have been commissioned >4 years) than we do LTJGs or ENS. The sequester (and resulting backup in the depots after they were defunded for a long time), shutdowns, continuing resolutions, and the 3+ month T-45 OBOGS "pause" have wreaked havoc on the pipeline and the fleet. Seeing airplanes sitting on the line, not flying for years just makes me sad. :(

As a taxpayer, you should be pissed at Congress, especially since they are within days of shutting things down again (read: lesson NOT learned :mad:). The military, and the country as a whole will suffer as a result.

matoran629

I posted a thread about this on a different part of the forum but have a few questions for AF guys who've gone over to the Navy.

I got DQ'd and lost my slot because of a green deficiency (common theme, apparently). 60/75 both eyes. Did extra testing, barely failed all of it and was disqualified. I tried literally every possible way of fighting it - letters to Congress, an ETP, I even managed to get my packet up to SecAF but it has been radio silence so far since her staff started looking at my packet. Did civilian color testing, showed everything as normal, asked to retest at WPAFB and was told no.

I'm reassigned into Logistics and will be heading off to my squadron in October. I very much want to do an IST to become a SNA. I'd appreciate it if anyone who's done it lately could PM me and tell me how it went & how long you had to wait in the AF before you could apply for a transfer. I've read all the info that I could find on doing it but it would be nice to hear from someone who actually managed it. Thanks!

cteaford

So there are a few of us here at WP who have gone through the same thing. The friends we’ve made within the USAFSAM have given word they will more than likely start giving waivers to guys and girls who have 55 or greater on the CCT. DM me and I can keep you in the loop with what we find out. This could save you from going through the pain of an IST and allow you to stay USAF.

mareid2

pilot
So there are a few of us here at WP who have gone through the same thing. The friends we’ve made within the USAFSAM have given word they will more than likely start giving waivers to guys and girls who have 55 or greater on the CCT. DM me and I can keep you in the loop with what we find out. This could save you from going through the pain of an IST and allow you to stay USAF.
About time! I was wondering when it was going to happen with the retention issues. Is there anything official on this or just word of mouth right now?

cteaford

About time! I was wondering when it was going to happen with the retention issues. Is there anything official on this or just word of mouth right now?
Right now, the waivers are just word of mouth. USAFSAM agog word from higher up that anyone with a physical that was completed in the last couple years can get it restamped. No official guidance at this time but from everything that we are hearing, they are working on rewriting the standard to 55.

gwong626

Finally, I have good news to update this thread with. Today, the USAF officially released me from my commitment about 1.5 years early so I can transfer to the Army National Guard. Believe me, it is a long and difficult process because no one seems to know how to do this kind of thing. I'll spare the details, but if anyone's interested let me know.

Things are looking good on the Army side as well; I plan to get oath of office the day after I separate from the USAF with no break in service, then I should be off to pilot training in a few months.

Sir, did you do accomplish the early release via conditional release form 368? I am trying to do this same route- active USAF to Army national guard WOFT.