• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS USAF Fighter And Bomber Crews Get Modified M4 Rifles That Fit Under Ejection Seats

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rehash the last 200+ posts... GO!

TL/DR, for a variety of reasons, the Navy isn’t going to do it, so it really doesn’t matter.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
To be fair, it’s not like the Navy really trains their pilots and aircrew to really be effective with the current issues sidearms.
Tried searching the forums and couldn't find an answer, but is there a mandatory pistol qual every X amount of years for Naval Aviators? Or just the initial one that you do at the beginning of training? Also found this from a google search: "Another aspect that made it undesirable was the accounting. Losing a single bullet held some heinous, nebulous punishment. They doled out the rounds just prior to the flight. You counted them out, signed for them, then vowed to return them, on pain of a poor fitness report." Is it actually that ridiculous in the fleet?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To be fair, it’s not like the Navy really trains their pilots and aircrew to really be effective with the current issues sidearms.
Someone in my old squadron may have killed a light fixture at the range. Allegedly. ?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Tried searching the forums and couldn't find an answer, but is there a mandatory pistol qual every X amount of years for Naval Aviators? Or just the initial one that you do at the beginning of training? Also found this from a google search: "Another aspect that made it undesirable was the accounting. Losing a single bullet held some heinous, nebulous punishment. They doled out the rounds just prior to the flight. You counted them out, signed for them, then vowed to return them, on pain of a poor fitness report." Is it actually that ridiculous in the fleet?

Per instruction you are required to qualify before a deployment in which you are expected to handle firearms. If you don’t qualify, you aren’t allowed to carry your weapon. You also must qualify on each type, pistol, rifle, and/or shotgun. So if you want to carry two pump shotguns in an X across your back (I’ve actually seen this) you have to shoot it through a qual course.

That said, actual execution of that policy is spotty.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
giphy.gif

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Totally forgot about that show . . . "Trust me. I know what I'm doing." :D
Heh... the writing was actually a funny mix of crassness, slapstick, and ironic caricature- even though a lot of critics thought it was just lowbrow sexist jokes and guns... not that it was highbrow at all, just the real jokes went over a lot of people's heads.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A team guy jumped on the helo with two crossed shotguns, two pistols, and a tomahawk strapped to his belt. No armor, no helmet, just his radio and a baseball hat. He wasn’t exactly small either, so he would probably be the scariest dude you could imagine kicking in your door.
Why am I completely unsurprised it was a team guy?