• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

US helicopter crash in Banda Aceh

Status
Not open for further replies.

gagirl

Fox News just reported that a US helicopter has crashed in Banda Aceh. They weren't sure about casualties or injuries. There was no fire ball, but a little smoke and it landed on its side. This is what was reported so some details could change.

There were 10 people on board and pray they all survived. I send my thoughts and prayers.
GAgirl

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
It was only a matter of time. They were working those things hard, and the crews too.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Aircraft crash, especially when they're flown round-the-clock in those conditions. Hope they're ok.

palatinexc

Student
BANDA ACEH, Indonesia - A U.S. helicopter with 10 people on board crashed in a rice paddy as it was trying to land at the Banda Aceh airport Monday while on a tsunami-relief operation, injuring at least two U.S. servicemen, a U.S. military spokesman said.

The injured men, along with eight other Navy personnel, were being flown back to their ship in the Lincoln battle group, said Capt. Joe Plenzler, a U.S. military spokesman in Medan, 250 miles southeast of Banda Aceh.

The SH60 helicopter crashed in a rice paddy about 500 yards from the airport in Banda Aceh, the main city on Indonesia's tsunami-battered Sumatra island, as it was trying to land, he said.

"There was no fire ball but a little smoke. It landed on its side," Plenzler said, adding that the helicopter's propeller was twisted from the impact.

U.S. authorities said there was no indication the helicopter had been shot down.

Authorities quickly cordoned off the area and U.S. officials began searching the field around the crash site, apparently for debris.

The airport at Banda Aceh "is still functioning and the crash shouldn't effect relief operations," Plenzler said.

The helicopter was flying in personnel to the airport from the USS Abraham Lincoln group off the coast of Sumatra, he said.

"We can rule out ground fire, but until there is investigation the determination of the cause of the accident can't be made," Plenzler said.

Security concerns were heightened Sunday when a shooting incident occurred outside a United Nations compound in Banda Aceh. Local police blamed the shooting on separatist rebels who operate in the area, but nobody was injured and aid officials said they did not believe relief workers were targeted.

Hopefully no one else was hurt.

Bevo16

pilot
It was a SH-60F "truck" (all the sonar gear removed) from HS-2. I know the guy that was in the right seat when it went down. Nobody was seriously injured, thank goodness. Cause of the "hard landing" is yet TBD.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder if any new MH-60S are being used over there. The Navy Blackhawk.

gagirl

Glad to know that noone was seriously injured or worse. thanks for the updates. I haven't heard too much on tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.