• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Up-to-date gouge on BOOST/NSI

evacastillo

The PT regime was certainly not a joke. It was significantly different from what my ship had done. My ship focused on running, with less attention paid to push-ups, et al., but NSI PT seemed to have no specific focus in area of training. The emphasis was on form, meaning if you cannot do, say, 60 "correct" push-ups, you better work on it. The most challenging PT was when they had the only SEAL candidate run "SEAL PT" for a day. I'm sure it was probably a bit watered down, but none of the Athletic-O's could finish, so yeah...

However, the real emphasis for NSI was placed on classes. Several PT's were cancelled in lieu of study time, etc. Fortunately, they have some pretty decent gym facilities there.

quote]

Thanks Skyward.. I've been really focusing on my endurance but I guess I better start working on my form in addition to my endurance. I would die if I got selected and then booted for PT. I do understand the importance of PT and setting an example for your personnel.. However, I've just never really been good at it. Hopefully all the prepping will help.. my body is stubborn lol.. right now I'm stuck at running 2 miles and I'm beat ..thanks again for the advice..

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
My experience is not dated, it is from NSI Spring 09. A Marine DI set up and helped the Chief's walk around and make sure people were doing proper push ups during the first PRT only, it wad the only time a Marine was involved in NSI.

jbuck's experience is dated, or perhaps related to BOOST. There are no such things as Marine DI's involved with NSI, at least with the non-BOOST NSI class of 2009.

The PT regime was certainly not a joke. It was significantly different from what my ship had done. My ship focused on running, with less attention paid to push-ups, et al., but NSI PT seemed to have no specific focus in area of training. The emphasis was on form, meaning if you cannot do, say, 60 "correct" push-ups, you better work on it. The most challenging PT was when they had the only SEAL candidate run "SEAL PT" for a day. I'm sure it was probably a bit watered down, but none of the Athletic-O's could finish, so yeah...

However, the real emphasis for NSI was placed on classes. Several PT's were cancelled in lieu of study time, etc. Fortunately, they have some pretty decent gym facilities there.

One last word of advice: If you happen to run into some Heineken girls in Newport, ask for Lindsey.

SkywardET

Contrarian
My experience is not dated, it is from NSI Spring 09. A Marine DI set up and helped the Chief's walk around and make sure people were doing proper push ups during the first PRT only, it wad the only time a Marine was involved in NSI.
If "J Buck" is your actual name, and you were in Alpha company, then yeah, I remember that too. I guess I completely discounted it because they were essentially doing what both of our company Chiefs and the class officer were saying all along anyways. Sorry, you're right. However, the only other time a Marine DI was involved was in helping with scoring the run portion, if I remember it right.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
If you two homos were cool and had gone to BOOST :D you would know that a Marine DI is in charge of the NSI summer program (the one for all the college kids). IN '08, he was the AMOI from SUNY. There are always a few floating around NSI, don't be surprised if you see them from time to time.

Ravenhollow11

Just finished the first week of NSI. So far it's a lot easier than expected. All we are required to memorize right now are the General Orders. Recommend the May class log into NKO and complete the requried courses for NSI for this fiscal year. (Browse Categories, DON, OTC, NSI) If you completed any of the courses before Oct 09 you will be required to do it again. Some things to bring that are not on the website: Laundry Detergent, Mop and Glo, Starch, Raincoat, Black Leathers OR Chlorofram's (sp), Navy PT gear including Smurfs (bring as many pairs as you have because this is what we are wearing for the first two weeks and they get dirty quick) Watch Cap, SHOWER SHOES, shirt stays if you prefer them, hangars, black AND WHITE shoe polish. If you dont have the official uniform items listed above they will be issued to you and it will be deducted from your clothing allowance....so the more you bring the more you save. As far as Marines being involved we have a Master Sergeant (E-8) who is directly in charge of us and our OIC is a LT. There are no other staff members.​

OscarMyers

None
Is the raincoat we were issued in bootcamp the same as the one we will need at NSI?

Just finished the first week of NSI. So far it's a lot easier than expected. All we are required to memorize right now are the General Orders. Recommend the May class log into NKO and complete the requried courses for NSI for this fiscal year. (Browse Categories, DON, OTC, NSI) If you completed any of the courses before Oct 09 you will be required to do it again. Some things to bring that are not on the website: Laundry Detergent, Mop and Glo, Starch, Raincoat, Black Leathers OR Chlorofram's (sp), Navy PT gear including Smurfs (bring as many pairs as you have because this is what we are wearing for the first two weeks and they get dirty quick) Watch Cap, SHOWER SHOES, shirt stays if you prefer them, hangars, black AND WHITE shoe polish. If you dont have the official uniform items listed above they will be issued to you and it will be deducted from your clothing allowance....so the more you bring the more you save. As far as Marines being involved we have a Master Sergeant (E-8) who is directly in charge of us and our OIC is a LT. There are no other staff members.​

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Is the raincoat we were issued in bootcamp the same as the one we will need at NSI?

Yeah, it's the raincoat that we were issued in bootcamp. You will have to put your OC insignia on it, that's the only difference.

We had to march to our all of our classes everyday. Some classes are in a building maybe 15-20 yards away from King Hall, we had to march. Go figure. So with marching everybody has to be uniform. Raincoats, jacket, just khakis, etc.

OscarMyers

None
Think maybe you guys could throw together a list of enlisted uniform items that are the same as officer. I have heard that the peat-coat is the same but you have to change buttons and get epaulets put on it.

david.a2006

Does anyone know around what time the graduation will be for the May NSI class? My wife cannot fly out of San Diego until late Thursday night and she won't be able to make it to base until around 8AM on the 9th. Any help would be appreciated.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
She should be able to make it. I think my NSI graduation (last year) started around 10am Friday morning. Prior to graduation you will be cleaning out your room and packing all your stuff up. I suggest having all that done before Friday morning to save time and some frustration, especially if you have family coming in. Our Chief was pretty flexible with us dealing with family and getting our family to/from airport and onto base. Give them a heads up though. My wife flew in Wednesday afternoon and they let me stay with her at the Navy Lodge Wed and Thursday night. I had everything packed and ready to go and we were on the interstate by 1300 (and that's including a lunch stop with some friends).

jake954

For the guys/gals who are just went through NSI in the FEB 2010 class up, did they have you get or birng the NWU. I am just trying to figure out if I should bring that uniform or just leave it. I figure at the NROTC unit I won't get much use out of it.

kekio86

Boost dates?

Is Boost mandatory? If so, what are the dates for it? What determines if you have to go to BOOST or not?
I understand that the dates for NSI (8 weeks) are in Feb and May. Is this true?
Thanks for your support,
V/r
GSE2

kekio86

So I hit my PRD on Oct 1st 2010, I transfer to shore duty, just don't have the paper copy of orders yet. The instruction says that if you receive orders after July 1st, you must stay in your command until you receive the results for STA-21. My ship goes on deployment on October 1st and the results don't come out until October 20(aprox). Does that mean that I have to go on deployment to find out if I made it? I understand that if I don't I will transfer to shore duty right away (at least thats what the instruction says). What if I get selected for STA-21, I would have to stay on deployment until February or May depending on my NSI date. I am not complaining about deployment, it is just that I would like to plan ahead. Any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks again

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Sometimes when a unit deploys they leave a beach det behind. It may be a matter of staying behind on beach det to see whether or not you made it, and if you did make it, fulfill the requirements to become fully accepted into the program (acceptance letters, degree plans, physicals etc) Whatever you do make sure you inform your detailer, and address these concerns with your chain of command in advance.

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
Is Boost mandatory? If so, what are the dates for it? What determines if you have to go to BOOST or not?
I understand that the dates for NSI (8 weeks) are in Feb and May. Is this true?
Thanks for your support,
V/r
GSE2

BOOST was discontinued. Yes, that is correct NSI info.