• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Up-to-date gouge on BOOST/NSI

k_smittay

NSI really isn't as bad as some say it is. It's just dealing with the fact that everything is taken away from you and slowly earned back. Yes the courses aren't fun, the lack of sleep wears on you, the lack of freedom is a pain, but it's only 8 weeks. I'm sure the boost guys won't have a problem. Although we'll be the ones laughing when we are on our way to the ROTC units while they are still stuck in NSI. By the way K smittay I'll see you in about 6 weeks. I have three others from this class going to CU so it should be a good time.

Sweeeeeet. CU is nice... especially in the summer.

Nsi

Currently going through NSI. We just got our first off base liberty and it's the end of week five. NSI is easy, it's just a matter of going through the motions and pretending stuff like unfurling a guide-on or painting a class mural is important to you. We all just want to get this over with and get to our respective colleges. PT is a joke. We have people out of body comp standards that skip their assigned FEP and nothing happens to them.
Classes are the number one priority which sometimes creates conflicts because the class LCPOs don't communicate much with the instructor staff. For instance in the beginning the instructors told us to call them if we were going to miss class for medical, and to look up homework assignments on the LAN. Of course at the time we had no phone or computer priviledges.
All that junk gets worked out. It's not hard. Just study before your tests and you'll be fine

RCL813

FY 09 CORE Selectee!
Thanks for the info Bo, our days are counting down now so the more info I get the better I feel about all of this.

bobnjillly

Does anybody know if you get credit for the naval science ect..classes you take at NSI? Do you get grades that count towards your college gpa or is it just a pass-fail? My son is currently attending and then will be headed to USD as a transfer student. Thanks in advance

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Does anybody know if you get credit for the naval science ect..classes you take at NSI? Do you get grades that count towards your college gpa or is it just a pass-fail? My son is currently attending and then will be headed to USD as a transfer student. Thanks in advance

The sole purpose of NSI is to complete the Naval Science courses before arriving to college. Your son will still have to take NS 401/402 at USD. Most colleges accept military courses as Pass/Fail...Old Dominion did at least.

Loco

USD and NSI Grades

I'm a former STA-21 now commissioned and I work at the ROTC unit at USD and they do not take NSI grades. USD accepts transfer credits from accredited schools, like SDSU, community college but 99% of the time, navy classes aren't accepted. Even when USD accepts classes to transfer, only the units are counted, and not the grades, so GPA is only affected by classes taken at USD. Who is your son? you can PM me if you have any other San Diego ROTC questions.

evacastillo

I'm not a great PT person, how much does NSI focus on PT and what do their PT sessions consist of? Anything extreme? If selected I would be going to NSI in February..

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
How about you start preparing yourself do be capable of leading your future Sailors from the front right now.

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
PT was a joke @ NSI. They first PRT is hell, your body isn't used to the cold weather, you like 25 laps around a basketball court, with Marine DI's bitching. During the push-ups they will say things like "Take 5 push-up's off his count, he didn't go down enough," but it's not a legit PRT anyways, by the time the second PRT come around you'll be fine. We PTed 2x a week, schedule and weather permitting. I wouldn't stress about PT, as long as you can pass a legit PRT you'll be more than okay.

I'm not a great PT person, how much does NSI focus on PT and what do their PT sessions consist of? Anything extreme? If selected I would be going to NSI in February..

evacastillo

How about you start preparing yourself do be capable of leading your future Sailors from the front right now.

I never understood why people waste their time saying something ridiculous in these forums. If you would have ASKED I would have told you what I was doing to prepare. I asked my question to get personal experiences from NSI concerning their PT schedule. For everyone that responded/responds with a legitimate answer, thank you.

SkywardET

Contrarian
jbuck's experience is dated, or perhaps related to BOOST. There are no such things as Marine DI's involved with NSI, at least with the non-BOOST NSI class of 2009.

The PT regime was certainly not a joke. It was significantly different from what my ship had done. My ship focused on running, with less attention paid to push-ups, et al., but NSI PT seemed to have no specific focus in area of training. The emphasis was on form, meaning if you cannot do, say, 60 "correct" push-ups, you better work on it. The most challenging PT was when they had the only SEAL candidate run "SEAL PT" for a day. I'm sure it was probably a bit watered down, but none of the Athletic-O's could finish, so yeah...

However, the real emphasis for NSI was placed on classes. Several PT's were cancelled in lieu of study time, etc. Fortunately, they have some pretty decent gym facilities there.

One last word of advice: If you happen to run into some Heineken girls in Newport, ask for Lindsey.

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
I never understood why people waste their time saying something ridiculous in these forums. If you would have ASKED I would have told you what I was doing to prepare. I asked my question to get personal experiences from NSI concerning their PT schedule. For everyone that responded/responds with a legitimate answer, thank you.

It is none of my concern what you are already doing to prepare. What is ridiculous is that your question was even asked in the first place. It sounds like you want to be able to just get by. How hard can it be? I don't think the school is known for a high attrition rate due to PT failures. These PT inquiries should never come up--especially here, on this board, where you are supposed to be aspiring to become someone who can lead by example. Welcome to the military.. there's PT involved; Get used to it.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
How hard can it be? I don't think the school is known for a high attrition rate due to PT failures.

What "high" attrition rate? You can't get any lower than 0% attrition!! That's what it was in my class.

I'll use a quote from this board that I've seen ALOT (paraphrased of course).

"Sit down, shut up, raise your hand if you have a question, and if you've never been there, DON'T give any advice, because you don't KNOW!!"

ELT(SS)

It is none of my concern what you are already doing to prepare. What is ridiculous is that your question was even asked in the first place. It sounds like you want to be able to just get by. How hard can it be? I don't think the school is known for a high attrition rate due to PT failures. These PT inquiries should never come up--especially here, on this board, where you are supposed to be aspiring to become someone who can lead by example. Welcome to the military.. there's PT involved; Get used to it.
Blizzy, you are what is wrong with the Navy.