• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Unorthodox Excercises

le lyon

NFO BDCP'er
So...I've been trying to incorporate some different exercises into my workout besides your typical dumbbell/barbell stuff. Any good ideas for some different (non-traditional) exercises? I've been trying a lot of stuff like box jumps and plyometric push-ups, which have both improved my explosiveness and quickness overall. Just trying to freshen up a boring routine.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
What are your goals?

For a while, UWF had a tire off a front-end loader on one of their back fields. I'd go for a run through the woods, about a mile, pop out at this field, and start flipping the tire across the field. It was always filled with rain water, so it was heavy as shit. I'd flip it across the field and back, about 75 flips in total, and then run back. What a kick in the nuts.

bigT86

Final Select SNA
Check out crossfit.com that will get you in some mean shape and they post a new workout on their website everyday.

I second the Crossfit idea. I've been doing it for about 3 months and I can already see a huge difference in my endurance and over all fitness.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Crossfit is the shit. Learn to do some olympic lifts: cleans, jerks, snatches are all good for explosive strength; just make sure you're doing them right.

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
So...I've been trying to incorporate some different exercises into my workout besides your typical dumbbell/barbell stuff. Any good ideas for some different (non-traditional) exercises? I've been trying a lot of stuff like box jumps and plyometric push-ups, which have both improved my explosiveness and quickness overall. Just trying to freshen up a boring routine.
http://

Is that the new gym next to Allen Hall? Back when I was an undergrad, that all used to be tennis courts.

Have you tried adding bear crawls?

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Also try to play as many sports as you can, its amazing how sore you can get from a good game.

Check out burpee pull-ups too. Total body workout, cardio and explosive.

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
Best shape I was ever in was when I was boxing. We didn't run all that much and did no weight training, but 20 minutes of jump rope followed by 30 minutes alternating between the heavy bag and the speed bag and I was dead. Plus the occasional shot to the jaw really motivates you...

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
My preference is 12 oz curls, one in each hand, decreasing in weight with each repetition. Repeat when weight reaches minimum. Preferably cold.

le lyon

NFO BDCP'er
QuagmireMcGuire, the tennis courts are still there. That building is called the ARC, which replaced IMPE. Thanks for the advice on crossfit guys. Definitely gonna try that out.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I've done a lot of Crossfit. I also tried P90X in Kuwait, since they had a regular class. If you hit it with intensity, it is actually a very good workout. In my opinion, it hits isolation exercises too much, but it was a good change of pace. You will definitely get in good shape doing it as well, though. Since I was doing it as a change of pace, it was nice, but I think I would get tired of repeating the same 12 DVDs over and over.

IMO, the keys to a good program are change, intensity, and enjoyability. You have to keep changing up to keep your body adapting and improving. Intensity is important to success in any program. Most importantly, you have to enjoy it, or you will eventually fall off the wagon, no matter how good the program is--a mediocre program that you hit hare because you like it is better than a great one you stop after a couple of weeks.

For me, that program is Crossfit, though I add some more straight cardio a few days a week to keep me in good stead for the PFT. For others it may be something else. There are several programs catering to applied, or practical fitness nowadays.