• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uncorrected eyesight is too bad, could I get PRK before?

Buffy00

Hello all,

I am currently 18 and about to graduate high school. For the past couple years I have been working towards my dream, becoming an aviator in the military. Recently, I got an eye prescription and calculated my eyesight. I believe I have 20/40 in one eye and 20/80 in the other eye. I always thought that I could just get PRK and I wouldnt have to worry about my eyesight but this may be false. Here are the questions I hope you guys can answered.

-Can I get a waiver if my uncorrected eyesight is worse than states in the requirements?
-If i get PRK would my uncorrected eyesight even matter
-Basically....Can i be a pilot?!?! haha

I would like to thank everyone in advance for answering any of my questions :)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello all,

I am currently 18 and about to graduate high school. For the past couple years I have been working towards my dream, becoming an aviator in the military. Recently, I got an eye prescription and calculated my eyesight. I believe I have 20/40 in one eye and 20/80 in the other eye. I always thought that I could just get PRK and I wouldnt have to worry about my eyesight but this may be false. Here are the questions I hope you guys can answered.

-Can I get a waiver if my uncorrected eyesight is worse than states in the requirements?
-If i get PRK would my uncorrected eyesight even matter
-Basically....Can i be a pilot?!?! haha

I would like to thank everyone in advance for answering any of my questions :)

1. No.
2. Yes it does matter.
3. No.

andrewt

I'm an SNA applicant who has had PRK done and it has not been an issue during my application. I also possess a FAA Class I physical, which required some extra testing on account of the PRK but otherwise no big deal. The MANMED Ch 15 for SNA does not say that PRK is disqualifying. If you elect to have PRK done, what your current vision is won't matter, which I what I think you were asking with #2. They will want post-op examinations to demonstrate your vision is stable, so there is a waiting period involved.

The thing that drove me to look into getting PRK done was a Navy instructor at an airshow telling me he had it done.

Either way, you're 18 and still have to get a degree to be an officer. Hopefully you picked a college that has an NRTOC program and you can get started there, as well as get good advice regarding your aptitude for naval aviation.

CreamDCorn

I had PRK done about 6 months prior to TBS and picked up a “competitive“ slot there. They (flight docs) do want all your post op documentation and will give you a waiver if they deem your eyes good enough.

Now Im about half way through flight school for the good tilt life and havent had any issues, medically or otherwise in regards to my eyes. Highly recommend the surgery.

As for the uncorrected eyesight, I believe theyre only talking about your eyesight without glasses or contacts, not pre-op vision.

So overall, yes you can be a pilot if you get PRK surgery and your new eyesight meets the requirements.