• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ultimate Fitness Thread

peppergunner

ɹǝqɯǝW pǝʇɹǝʌuI
Anyone have any tips or advice for injuries? Right behind my right knee-cap hurts when i push it inward or straighten my knee too much, and my left foot is hurting just next to the heel. I tried running yesterday and really couldn't do it without it hurting too much so I switched to cycling for now. How can I have this heel quickly to keep working on my run?
Yeah I'd say do some weight training so your knee learns how to function under load, so running doesn't destroy it.

Google GZCLP, Stronglifts, Starting Strength, or any beginner barbell program to get into it.

Last edited:

aribjc

I live in Brooklyn and don't have any swimming pools by me. The biking felt fine when I did it yesterday compared to the running that was almost unbearable. I wear New Balances (after I read they issued those at OCS). I stretch after running and before running. If I am being honest I am skipping leg day I'm actually not doing any lifting at all. Would you say that would be the reason?
Dude yes do NOT skip leg days, it's not a meme it's a very real thing( or back days or shoulder days in my opinion) but especially not legs. It strengths your joints, if you do the form correctly it will certainly help prevent injury. It will also help you get way faster

abctotheabc

You can't bust open a fire hydrant and swim in the street like the kids in an old New York movie?

If only! Cardio training would be so much easier!

Yeah I'd say do some weight training you your knee learns how to function under load, so running doesn't destroy it.

Google GZCLP, Stronglifts, Starting Strength, or any beginner barbell program to get into it.

Dude yes do NOT skip leg days, it's not a meme it's a very real thing( or back days or shoulder days in my opinion) but especially not legs. It strengths your joints, if you do the form correctly it will certainly help prevent injury. It will also help you get way faster

Thanks for this! I'll definitely have to get on it then. I'm extremely frustrated about it and really want to heal and prevent this from happening again.

If only! Cardio training would be so much easier!

Thanks for this! I'll definitely have to get on it then. I'm extremely frustrated about it and really want to heal and prevent this from happening again.
OPINION: Not sure how easy it would be to setup a camera/cellphone/tripod to film you running on track/treadmill to get observable data for your running form. Could be out of whack leading to higher than expected impacts. You could simply be going too fast too soon in terms of speed or volume before your body is used to it. To echo advice above, weight training and specifically deceleration training can help to improve your supportive systems in your stabilizing muscles and ligaments. I am not a doctor, so take all of this with a grain of salt :)

abctotheabc

OPINION: Not sure how easy it would be to setup a camera/cellphone/tripod to film you running on track/treadmill to get observable data for your running form. Could be out of whack leading to higher than expected impacts. You could simply be going too fast too soon in terms of speed or volume before your body is used to it. To echo advice above, weight training and specifically deceleration training can help to improve your supportive systems in your stabilizing muscles and ligaments. I am not a doctor, so take all of this with a grain of salt :)

I do feel like I land more on my left foot (the one with the heel issue) more than my right foot (the leg with the knee issue), but I land more in the middle than the front or back edge. I did increase my speed on Friday and Saturday which is when it started hurting so maybe that's it?

I do feel like I land more on my left foot (the one with the heel issue) more than my right foot (the leg with the knee issue), but I land more in the middle than the front or back edge. I did increase my speed on Friday and Saturday which is when it started hurting so maybe that's it?
There is a YouTube channel called "The Run Experience" that has a few coaches that discuss some of these issues as well as general running training. I think the channel is more geared towards distance running, but the lessons should still be mostly applicable in terms of body maintenance, dealing with pain, and running load increases.
EDIT: spelling

peppergunner

ɹǝqɯǝW pǝʇɹǝʌuI
Your heel shouldn't be striking while you run. Generally once you set that then oeeo your hips underneath rather than putting them behind you with an arched back, the form takes care of itself. Don't bound step to step. Running should almost feel like gradually falling forward, but you keep giving yourself a push with your legs to keep yourself from falling.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Are you guys still talking about prepping for OCS, because unless you’re a 300# russet couch potato, y’all are really nuking it.

I'd love to hear about the couch potato that can run 1.5 miles in 10:30. :D Isn't that the standard for graduating from OCS? If so, you have to be a fairly good runner.

I've met many OCS and NROTC accessions that have never met this standard so I'm slightly confused. Is it meant to motivate and push people more than being a hard standard? If so, it works I guess.

RE: Running pains
Ellipticals with good resistance/intensity are excellent for cardio. Just be sure to run a decent bit as well so you're still running. For a lot of runners I know, the limitation is in the power and not in the cardio. I'm the opposite (these days, as I haven't run a whole lot since 22). To say ellipticals haven't helped my running cardio quite a bit would be an understatement.

I use ellipticals at least a few of the days a week because heavy lifting and running just don't go well together. When you do a bunch of deadlifts and leg presses and your body feels like jello, I wouldn't advise going for a long and fast run. Also you're not straining muscles and putting pressure on your knees and spine with elliptical, so on the run days, you're fresh, pretty much no recovery needed from elliptical.

Last edited by a moderator:

peppergunner

ɹǝqɯǝW pǝʇɹǝʌuI
I'd love to hear about the couch potato that can run 1.5 miles in 10:30. :D Isn't that the standard for graduating from OCS? If so, you have to be a fairly good runner.

I've met many OCS and NROTC accessions that have never met this standard so I'm slightly confused. Is it meant to motivate and push people more than being a hard standard? If so, it works I guess.

RE: Running pains
Ellipticals with good resistance/intensity are excellent for cardio. Just be sure to run a decent bit as well so you're still running. For a lot of runners I know, the limitation is in the power and not in the cardio. I'm the opposite (these days, as I haven't run a whole lot since 22). To say ellipticals haven't helped my running cardio quite a bit would be an understatement.

I use ellipticals at least a few of the days a week because heavy lifting and running just don't go well together. When you do a bunch of deadlifts and leg presses and your body feels like jello, I wouldn't advise going for a long and fast run. Also you're not straining muscles and putting pressure on your knees and spine with elliptical, so on the run days, you're fresh, pretty much no recovery needed from elliptical.
But if you only elliptical, your shins arent conditioned for impact, and youre begging for shin splints.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Which is why I stated "Just be sure to run a decent bit as well so you're still running" and noted similarly on the first page of this thread. ;)

Still, I'm very curious as to what the deal with OCS and its graduation fitness standards are. If it's a hard requirement, seems like many people wouldn't pass.

peppergunner

ɹǝqɯǝW pǝʇɹǝʌuI
Which is why I stated "Just be sure to run a decent bit as well so you're still running" and noted similarly on the first page of this thread. ;)
Wrote it for anyone that reads and thinks, "oh im just only gonna elliptical then". not critiquing your plan which was obviously not 100% elliptical.

Dude go look up the PFT requirements for NAVY for the standards on 1.5mi and everything else. No clue where you got your 10:30 from.

Seniuram

Dude go look up the PFT requirements for NAVY for the standards on 1.5mi and everything else. No clue where you got your 10:30 from.

I believe they up the minimum standards as you go through OCS. I THINK. I don’t know for sure. So the IST is the lowest then your Mid is higher requirements and your Final is even higher. Idk the numbers. However, I believe your IST reps are counted by a candio where your other 2 tests are counted by your fellow classmates. For running though, a stopwatch has no biased, You either make time or don’t.

I believe they up the minimum standards as you go through OCS. I THINK. I don’t know for sure. So the IST is the lowest then your Mid is higher requirements and your Final is even higher. Idk the numbers. However, I believe your IST reps are counted by a candio where your other 2 tests are counted by your fellow classmates. For running though, a stopwatch has no biased, You either make time or don’t.
From the OCS website:
Physical Training: There are four Physical Fitness Assessments (PFA) at OCS, the Initial Strength Test (IST), In-PFA, Mid-PFA and the Out-PFA. The passing requirements are Satisfactory Medium for IST, and Good for the Out-PFA. Click Here for specific requirements regarding the Navy’s Physical Readiness Program. You will not be allowed to begin training without a Satisfactory Medium on the IST or without passing the Body Composition Assessment (BCA).

From the OCS website:
Physical Training: There are four Physical Fitness Assessments (PFA) at OCS, the Initial Strength Test (IST), In-PFA, Mid-PFA and the Out-PFA. The passing requirements are Satisfactory Medium for IST, and Good for the Out-PFA. Click Here for specific requirements regarding the Navy’s Physical Readiness Program. You will not be allowed to begin training without a Satisfactory Medium on the IST or without passing the Body Composition Assessment (BCA).
And to add on for slightly more detail:
FOR OCS CANDIDATES ONLY:
During your first week of training you will commence a regimen of daily physical training. You must be able to perform aerobic activity, muscular strength exercises and endurance exercises. Aerobic activity will include running approximately 3 miles three or four times per week, primarily on track or road surfaces. The level of strength and stamina necessary to successfully complete Officer Candidate School (OCS) is similar to the level required in cross-training fitness programs as seen on infomercials. You will benefit greatly if you report to OCS in good physical condition.
On your second day of training you will be required to pass each portion of the Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA) with a score of Satisfactory Medium. By the 9th week you will be required to pass each portion of the PFA with a score of Good Low.
Officer Candidates who fail to score this will be placed in the Holding Company for physical fitness remediation. The candidate will remain in Holding Company until he/she is able to pass the PFA with the required score. This could extend your stay at OCS for an indefinite amount of time.
Morning physical training (PT) will consist of running 4 days a week, and strength and conditioning 2 days a week.

The good low run time is 11 mins or less for 17-19, 12 mins for 20-24, 12:53 for 25-29, and 13:45 for 30-34. So, in theory, if you were a 19 year old graduate, you would have to run about 10:30 which may be where Sculpin's time came from. Hope that helps!