• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UFOs?

MGoBrew11

pilot
From the NYT article:

"The near miss, he and other pilots interviewed said, angered the squadron, and convinced them that the objects were not part of a classified drone program. Government officials would know fighter pilots were training in the area, they reasoned, and would not send drones to get in the way."

? Dude, we can't get P8s and F18s to properly coordinate altitude blocks on COMTUEX. What makes you think the CIA, NASA or whoever else perhaps involved is coordinating with the Navy on MOAs, Warning Areas or anything else?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of course they're real, they are quite clearly Rhino tapes. Thank God the geniuses at PM put in the hours of work to confirm that. :rolleyes:

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I feel we must be climbing into a UFO during some of my proficiency flight evaluations (PFE). I call out a checklist item, followed by the copilot being evaluated looking around cockpit for the switch I just called out. My mind asks the question (because I'm not sarcastic enough to ask it out loud), "You have been in this aircraft before, right? This isn't a UFO we're in, right?"

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UFO researcher FOIAs ONI for classified videos of the Nimitz incident. ONI FOIA coordinator notes that the videos are TS, and uses the definition of TS material from the appropriate Executive Order in her response. Media now shocked that the release of material appropriately classified as TS would cause "exceptionally grave damage to national security." Even though that's . . . uhh . . . the definition of what makes something classified TS to begin with. :rolleyes:
First, you can't FOIA classified material - It's exempt. Second, I don't see how the videos could be TS unless someone decided the content merited further protection, which seems dubious at best. Lastly, of course the media went high & right, because the media that is interested in this kind of stuff is 100% motivated by clickbait.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First, you can't FOIA classified material - It's exempt. Second, I don't see how the videos could be TS unless someone decided the content merited further protection, which seems dubious at best. Lastly, of course the media went high & right, because the media that is interested in this kind of stuff is 100% motivated by clickbait.
Of course you can't FOIA classified material . . . but someone tried, hence my eyerolling snark about this whole thing. And what they're saying is TS is "certain briefing slides." Given that it's ONI, maybe other stuff from other sources is mixed in those "certain slides?" Or maybe the whole thing just ended up on JWICS for some reason, and someone got lazy with the "classify" button in Outlook? I have no idea.

It just entertains me that some poor government functionary used the book definition of TS material explaining why the TS material can't be declassified, and the media sees it and goes ZOMG CONSPIRACY!! Like you said, clickbait.

azguy

None

The article says the video (which ONI isn't OCA of) is Secret...nothing to see there. But the fact that they have TS slides on the incident is interesting, to say the least. Bound to drive the tinfoil hat tribes crazy.