• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAVs, not just an Air Force gig anymore

jbalesi

"Poop Dick"
None
First BAMS-D pilot was a P-3 guy. They used winged aviators, just like the Air Force did during testing. Not sure what the long term plan is but my spidey sense is telling me this could be a path for VP community non screen/OP-T DH pilots. The community has been kind of quiet on how manning these new squadrons will be accomplished.

For any MPRA guys interested in Triton, it does seem as if they will be pulling pilots/NFOs from the top of the pack (instructors) from squadrons for Triton shore duty. It has the rumor to be a "top tier" shore duty, right up there with VP-30, as you will be with a large ward room ("up to 50 people") and obviously the Navy has dumped a lot of money into it. Sounds like a good gig as far as keeping your tactical knowledge up there and officers will actually be the ones "flying" the aircraft.

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks
Anyone care to elaborate but in AFROTC it's now a separate track apparently, and the commissioning class of 2014 for last year was 3 pilots (UPT, ENJJPT, and UAV, no Navs?).

jbalesi

"Poop Dick"
None
Anyone care to elaborate but in AFROTC it's now a separate track apparently, and the commissioning class of 2014 for last year was 3 pilots (UPT, ENJJPT, and UAV, no Navs?).

The only way to elaborate is that a very good instructor pilot that I know is leaving their first sea duty to go to the VUP squadron. I subsequently talked to some higher ranking people in-the-know at my command about VUP, and above is what they told me. They said NFO's would respectively be doing TACCO-type stuff.

Jublov

The only way to elaborate is that a very good instructor pilot that I know is leaving their first sea duty to go to the VUP squadron.
I hope he's not discouraged or bitter, drone pilots are bored I heard.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
NFOs are pretty happy with the GH gig, since it's very similar to their flying experience. It's been a mixed bag for pilots from the ones I talk to.

Jublov

If I had the choice, I would go NFO over drone pilot, I like the idea of being a TACCO.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I wanna be a pilot to begin with, but in terms of looking at a computer screen doing ISR not in the aircraft, I don't like it. But NFO would be my backup plan, still in the plane.
Perhaps you should get through high school first and then college before worrying about being a pilot or flight officer. ;)

Jublov

Perhaps you should get through high school first and then college before worrying about being a pilot or flight officer. ;)

Sir, I believe you are mistaken, I am in college :eek:, no but sir I understand. Focus on schooling first, then we can rule of the dice of being a piloto el marina or NFO