• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U-2 Pilot Goes to Space

HuggyU2

None
In U-2 News: former U-2 pilot and 1st Recon Squadron Commander, Mike "Sooch" Masucci, became an astronaut yesterday.

For those that know Sooch, I'm sure we'd all agree that VG picked the perfect guy for this role, and it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. NASA should have picked him for the Shuttle when they had the chance.

He becomes the 2nd U-2 pilot into space... and the first to go to space after getting the U-2 Solo Patch.

jmcquate

Contributor
Woulda thought there was was quite a few 9th SRW types that went to NASA. learn something new every day.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He made it to what the USAF/NASA define as space, which is above 50 miles, but not what the Fédération aéronautique internationale defines as space, the 'Kármán line' at 100 kilometers. But alas, there is hope since the FAI is apparently thinking of changing what they recognize as space to 80 km, which is about 49.7 miles. The dispute about the definition of where space begins has become a little bit of a point of contention between Virgin Atlantic and Blue Origin because one is supposed take tourists above 100 km while the other doesn't.

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I can't remember where I read that in the last few days, whether it was Avleak or one of the other feeds I get, but it's almost as if @Flash and I are reading the same articles..........

(I think I've been to about 10km.)

Reading about this stuff brings out my inner child and makes me remember watching The Right Stuff (after setting the VCR to record it).

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
He made it to what the USAF/NASA define as space, which is above 50 miles, but not what the Fédération aéronautique internationale defines as space, the 'Kármán line' at 100 kilometers. But alas, there is hope since the FAI is apparently thinking of changing what they recognize as space to 80 km, which is about 49.7 miles. The dispute about the definition of where space begins has become a little bit of a point of contention between Virgin Atlantic and Blue Origin because one is supposed take tourists above 100 km while the other doesn't.
Yeah...blah, blah, blah...in my ridiculous opinion, I’m in “space” whenever I’m wearing my amazing Speedy Gonzales Moonwatch...

397E8687-A1F3-4041-B83A-3C82BBE96E09.jpeg

5FD9F760-E91D-4723-986A-C2B55AB18BAF.jpeg

azguy

None
He made it to what the USAF/NASA define as space, which is above 50 miles, but not what the Fédération aéronautique internationale defines as space, the 'Kármán line' at 100 kilometers.

In the BMD-world, DOD/USAF consider the 100km boundary to doctrinally be the edge of space. Whether or not that makes sense is a different discussion.

What altitude do you need to reach to be considered an astronaut in the USN/USAF?

HuggyU2

None
Fédération aéronautique internationale (FAI)

Kármán

There sure are a lot of accent symbols in those words.
And odd spellings. "Internationale"... with an 'e' on the end. Weird.

I'm no English major but I'd guess these words aren't Made in America.
You know... Made in the USA... like powered fixed-wing aviation. Catapult shots. Supersonic flight. Yeah, those were Made in America. By some great Americans.
And it's only gotten better since.
Apparently, Made in America created the ability to fly off of boats. Crazy shit!!
And some Mississippi brothers found a way to refuel planes in flight. Is that possible?
Kelly Johnson was born in Michigan. That's part of the US of A, in case you're new here.

That orb in the sky isn't call "la lune" by the only people that have ever landed there. No... those 12 guys call it "the Moon" in their native tongue.

So when "le Fédération aéronautique internationale" is able to put someone from their organization on "the Moon"... or land a vehicle on Mars... operate aircraft all over the world's oceans with impunity... or fly black airplanes in the bozosphere...
... or launch a commercial rocket to ~300,000'...

...well, when they can do something remotely approaching that, then I guess they can weigh in on what the parameters for "space" are.

Until then, I'll stick with the definition that was made by the USAF and NASA.

50 miles, bitchéz.

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What altitude do you need to reach to be considered an astronaut in the USN/USAF?

It is 50 miles for the USAF, I presume that the Navy uses NASA's current definition. The difference between the 50 miles and 100 km only really came into play in the past during the X-15 days, when several USAF and NASA pilots earned astronaut wings for flights over 50 miles but less than 100 km. The X-15 flew above 50 miles in altitude 13 times but only two flights of those were above 100 km. Of note, NASA only awarded it's three civilian X-15 pilots who flew above 50 miles astronaut wings in 2004, after SpaceShipOne's flight into 'space'*.

*Not the FAI's definition of space though.

HuggyU2

None
Was ist das? I thought the U2s were all solo aircraft?
There are 4 two-seat aircraft. Three came out of the factory as such. A 4th was converted from a single-seater. They are purely trainers and cannot fly with operational sensors. The picture above is from the mid-80's when they were painted white, and is of the 1st one produced.

You fly three flights in the interview process in the two-seater. If selected, you will PCS to Beale a few months later, check out in the T-38, and then go to U-2 academics. Once you hit the U-2 flying, there are 6 flights in the 2 seater, and the 7th is solo. After that flight, you are presented with the Solo Patch to wear on your flight suit.