• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TX vs MS?

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
as you know, timing is everything in Naval Aviation ... and the timing right now isn't looking too good for those wanting Navy & Marine jets ...

SF

Funny how it all works because when I checked into the rag the perception is that they can't get us to the fleet fast enough and there is some sort of a shortage.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
I put Kingsville first because I wanted there to be more than 2 Jewish people in the area like it would have been in Meridian (DRob and me)... There's a synagogue in Corpus :)

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
Yeah, we saw them... my favorite part was going out to the bar with MIDNJAC and his fresh black eye from the Dropkick Murphys show!

ElFuego

What is this, a school for ants?
Tryin to revive this post a little bit here, should be selecting next week, and if you haven't heard, there is a little jet draft going on in the Corps(not that I relied upon it, just the right place/right time)... First things first, I've read the above posts, and to be honest, I really don't care where I am as long as I'm flying a T-45. That being said, I wanted to get some opinions on the difference between Meridian and Krock... So, given YOUR having been in either one or both of the locations, where would you rather be?

I know that Meridian allows profsits and hear it's a little nicer base, but besides that, I hear the flying is pretty much the same. Feel free to comment...

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot

They call them practice sims there and the rag.

I went to MS, mainly to see something new after Corpus. I would choose MS if I had to do it over gain, but both places suck. MS is more green and has more lakes and bugs.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I went to Corpus, and then MS. Easily a mistake. There is a reason MS ranks 50th on every ranking of the States. If I could do it again, I would have gone to Krock.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Kingsville is in the middle of nowhere. Good sailing and windsurfing can be found in Corpus. San Antonio ain't bad if you don't mind driving and Austin is pretty cool if you don't mind driving a little further.We're in the middle of a drought (16 inches below for the year) and it's hotter than hell every damn day. All the students live in the same place for the most part here; seems like it's a better sense of community that I had in Pcola or Milton.

You aren't expected to get any practice sims at Kingsville- not sure if you are or are not at Meridian.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I would choose Meridian again if only for the command. Both squadrons are really great in their own ways. The flying is pretty good. Maintenance is lights out on making sure you have jets. I have NEVER cancelled for availability of aircraft. If your jet shits itself on deck you get a new one. You are de facto expected to get practice sims in your first 3 or 4 months, but if you have the right type of personality you should probably be mad that Kingsville doesn't offer the opportunity. The state of MS is truly horrible. There are adequate restaurants, but the beer and grocery selection is terrible which represent my two largest compromises by living here. Tuscaloosa is 1.5 away, BHM is 2.5, Jackson is 1.0, PCola 3.0 and NOLA is 3 or 4. You'll end up making just as many compromises in your lifestyle living here as you would living in southeast Texas.

I don't have anything against TW-2, but knowing what I do about TW-1, it's a pretty easy choice.

Also, I'm leaving soon so if you or anybody you know needs a decently remodeled 3Br/2Ba house in north Meridian (the base is way north of town), drop me a PM.

srqwho

pilot
I'm in Krock... did primary in CC. I put MS first, but got Krock (so did everybody else who put tailhook first that week with the exception of a guy who wanted MS for family/personal reasons). As much as a I loathe S. Texas, the flying here is great and like somebody else said, the last time it rained here I was wearing a jacket to work, so w/x canceling hasn't been happening too often. As far as the practice sims go, you CAN get one if you are a motivator and show up everyday asking. For a while they had a bunch everyday, but that has slowed down and now there seems to be a couple every couple/few days. You're expected to not have had any during your first sims, so anything above that puts you ahead of the curve. It seems like they are getting the rest of the alpha sims upgraded to charlies, and as that happens more practice sims become avail.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I really liked Meridian. I'm going to take so much shit for saying that.

VT-9 kicked ass. Getting into a practice sim was a piece of cake, easier than it is in the RAG. Excellent jet availability and you will fly the -C model exclusively. The PRs would repair my gear or sew velcro on my bags/patches while I waited. Now I wait two fucking weeks to get velcro.

Meridian proper sucked. Not going to sugarcoat it, the town is a shit hole. It has more to offer than Kingsville, but not by much. The cities around Meridian though? Awesome. I had a ridiculous amount of fun in Tuscaloosa, Pensacola, and NOLA. Piling into a car with a bunch of your buddies becomes standard. Alabama girls are awesome. Atlanta is only 4 hours away.

Did I mention I miss southern girls?