• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TX vs MS?

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I've been searching around for an answer to this, but I'm not having much luck. Just out of curiosity, if one were to theoretically select jets, how does the decision get made to send you to Kingsville or Meridian? Is it based on numbers and how many class openings one place has over the other? Is it a "dream sheet" vs needs of the Navy?

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, what's the history behind having the two training locations? I guess that question could also be extended to CC and Whiting, too.

Thanks in advance

SoxFan524

You get to put down your preference when you select out of primary. Like all else, it's up to the needs of the Navy. It seems like it depends on which location is more backed up. If you don't get your 1st choice of location, but there is a jet slot available at the other, you'll get that.

When I selected, a lot more people were getting Kingsville than Meridian, but I've heard it's started to go back the other way...

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
The top guy in my class got his first choice, the second guy got the leftover slot.

Does it really matter? Neither location is ideal and you're flying a sick airplane regardless.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
In my timeframe (Jan 09) pretty much everyone who wanted Meridian got it, and the few stragglers who weren't too sick of South TX already (I was in Corpus), got Kingsville like they wanted. Just ask for what you want, and be prepared to get something else :)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
If you get MS, chances are you'll have to deal with the shenanigans of DRob and MIDNJAC, which can be both a good and bad thing, mainly bad though.

sundevil_av8r

pilot
The week I selected I saw the selection sheet for all squadrons and it seemed they based the selection off how our names were ordered on the list. If I recall it was ordered from top down: Vance, VT-2,3,6, and then VT-27,28. The top half of the sheet was sent to Kingsville, and the bottom half Meridian. So that week it seemed to be easiest to just split the group in half.

Several weeks later they realized they sent too many people to Kingsville, and given the transition from A's to C's they were unable to accommodate any more. So, there was only 1 or 2 Marines that checked in for about 3 months and everyone else was sent to Meridian. During this time frame it seemed to be based on ability to class up students.

There are probably weeks were only 1 slot is available at each location, and one stud requested Krock while the other requested Meridian. Hopefully this week it would be easy to accommodate their requests (unless the Navy wanted to save money on their PCS moves, another variable in the loop).

Bottom line: Request what you want, be happy if you get either.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
The week I selected, everyone from 28 got Kingsville, and everyone from 27 got Meridian. It really doesn't matter much where you go as far as I can tell.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
I heard that the student load in both places is unduly increasing the Time to Train, thus there will be no Jet selections for 4.3 months.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I heard that the student load in both places is unduly increasing the Time to Train, thus there will be no Jet selections for 4.3 months.

Thus increasing the denominator in the probability of getting jets equation.

Listening for the sound of flight school gamers scurrying back to the drawing board...

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
darth_vader_noooo1.jpg

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
as you know, timing is everything in Naval Aviation ... and the timing right now isn't looking too good for those wanting Navy & Marine jets ...

SF