• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transition Pipeline during Advanced?

FLY_USMC

pilot
I had jet grades but couldn't get them the week I selected. Now after going through some of the multi-engine training, I can't help thinking how much I would have loved to fly jets
You and probably 50,000 other guys, I'm not going to blow sunshine up your arse like everyone else....you have ZERO chance until....I guess you're done with your first tour. Deal with it, my advice to you.

billiken2002

pilot
Right now I'm about half way through advanced and I am really enjoying it. It was also my first choice. That being said, I am really excited to fly the P-3, but I also want to get the opportunity to fly the P-8. Would it be a slap in my squadron's face if I was to want to go for TPS after my first tour (if I get all my quals, of course) in order to be at the beginning of this P-8 transition or would my command be willing to go to bat for me?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for all the advice.

Since I didn't see if covered elsewhere, when should I mention the whole transition thing (assuming I still want it later)? I know you need at least one observed fitrep, but is that really a good time to bring it up? As has been said, I have no desire to shoot myself in the foot.

Like Master said, once you get fully qualified in the squadron as a PPC, that is when you might bring it up to a trusted DH or if you really trust the XO.

I brought it up to a DH that had transitioned in my squadronafter I had qual'd and he told me to do well on my first det as a qual'd guy and then come home and put in for it. I did well and i did as he said, with support from the XO as well.

As for shooting yourself in the foot, that might not be the case. I had the fortune to be in a squadron where 70% of the DH's and the XO at the time were all transitions. The CO is the one that matters though, he has to sign off on the transition and that can be a crapshoot. Some CO's are cool, mine was all for it, but some would see it as a betrayal. I was in VQ-1, the VQ-2 CO at the time did not have the same attitude. Or you could wait for your shore tour, most guys I knew did it from there.

So, keep it to yourself right now and do as well as you can as a P-3 or EP-3 guy. I knew plenty of guys who swore they were going to transition after they got somethign they did not first want. Three years later, after the RAG and deploying a few times they did not have the same attitiude. I was the only one who actually took the plunge and put it in for one. You have to start all over again in a new community. That and you are out sequence and that might hurt for eventual promotion and advancement. I know of a couple guys that affected, including me to a degree.

Once you get that PPC letter, and with a good rep, then start thinking about it again. But right now just box that thought up and store it, or else you'll just distract yourself and possibly go around with a chip on your shoulder, even if you don't know it. Don't be that guy.

Good luck, you will enjoy Naval Aviation. Whether it be a VP or VQ squadron or a VFA one, it is all a heckuva a lot better than anything in the real world. Believe it! :D

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I've never understood how a front office or a DH could hold it against an JO who wants to fly something else or not stay Navy. This is assuming the guy in question is not an assbag. A solid officer and pilot, deciding he or she wants to try out another community, for whatever reason, should be helped in his endeavors. Of course, they have to perform and not be one of those angry, disgruntled types. I think it's rare but I went through a CO who was simply stay Navy, stay in your community or else. Funny thing was, he was a helo transition guy :confused: Of course he also led by do as I say, not as I do. Most front offices I've seen were pretty good at supporting any hard working JO with his/her requests.

That Guy

You and probably 50,000 other guys, I'm not going to blow sunshine up your arse like everyone else....you have ZERO chance until....I guess you're done with your first tour. Deal with it, my advice to you.
Did you read my entire first post? I have been "dealing with it" and my feelings are far from disgruntled. It just turned out to be different than what I expected. I can accept the cards life's given me, but if I have the choice to take a risk and trade some in, I'd like to know my odds. For now, I guess I'll just have to hold as published.

Thanks for the quals advice, MB.