• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transition Pipeline during Advanced?

That Guy

Hey guys, I have a question, but feel like a pile of dirt for wanting to ask it. I selected P-3's out of Primary, but am now regretting my decision to put them down first.

I had jet grades but couldn't get them the week I selected. Now after going through some of the multi-engine training, I can't help thinking how much I would have loved to fly jets (glad they weren't an option that week since then I would have turned them down and would be REALLY regretting everything now). This really just doesn't seem like the type of flying I want to do. I also keep thinking how fun flying helos would be, and how maybe I should have put that down first.

I know everyone says you love it later, but flying multiengine props has just been different than what I expected, and I'm finding it really hard to enjoy at all (the actual flying of the aircraft that is - I know training isn't supposed to be necessarily enjoyable).

I know this is a really bad attitude to have (which is why I feel like dirt sharing this here... these are not thoughts I share publicly), and I'm trying to just suck it up and do my best. I know it's a noble thing to do well what you do not want to do but have to...

But, my question is: is there any procedure by which students transfer airframes while in advanced? If not, I will continue to work hard to serve my country in this profession, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it to some extent later, but I just wanted to know if anyone knew if that was a possibility.

I don't know where to go for advice, since I seems like I'd be kind of shooting myself in the foot if I go talk to someone in the squadron about it. I'm obviously not the only guy who's been disappointed post-selection. That's why I'm posting here first.

Anyway, thanks for any help.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is UINavy around to shed some light on this?

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I think you area P-3 guy now.....apply for an airframe transition in your operational squadron....I know of several P-3 guys who did that, one of which is in Kingsville right now....also MasterBates is an expert on community transitions.....the key to you getting into jets now is you had jet grades.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey guys, I have a question, but feel like a pile of dirt for wanting to ask it.

But, my question is: is there any procedure by which students transfer airframes while in advanced? If not, I will continue to work hard to serve my country in this profession, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it to some extent later, but I just wanted to know if anyone knew if that was a possibility.

Anyway, thanks for any help.

Having been through the transition process myself and knowing a few others, I know of no one who transitioned while still in flgiht school unless it was under special circumstances. This includes medical problems, failing out of jets and transferring to P-3's for a few or a one off deal because all of a sudden the Navy/Marines find themselves 30 jet guys short for the year. As far as I know, there is no standard/regular way to transition for a flight student.

I believe your best hope now is to do well in P-3's, especially your operational squadron, and then try to transition after you are fully qualified as a PPC/MC. There are several threads on transitions, search for them. Other than that, I will let other trasitionees chime in.

That Guy

I believe your best hope now is to do well in P-3's, especially your operational squadron, and then try to transition after you are fully qualified as a PPC/MC. There are several threads on transitions, search for them. Other than that, I will let other trasitionees chime in.
I have read all the other transition threads I could find here, and I had the impression that maritime to strike transition is hard. Glad to hear that some have done it, though, and if that's my best bet, I'll just do my best for now. Any specific things I should be doing now/FRS/VP/Q-x besides PPC/MC quals?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
That Guy...Shoot me a PM and we'll go get a beer. While my situation was, and is a little different...I think I have a good perspective on where you are coming from.

Which squadron are you in?

S.O.B.

pilot
P8

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/p8a/index.html

Stay with the VP community and you have the P8 to look forward to. If you bust your ass in your fleet squadron and go to TPS or VX-1 you could be flying it in as little as four years and follow it to the fleet. I personally wouldn't attempt to switch communities in advanced for a number of reasons and from what I can see your future community has some nice perks. Embrace it.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
My bet is after the FRS and one tour, you won't even look back. I felt the same as you, though I was flying T-2C's in advanced. An E-2 came down one day to VT-4, I sat in the cockpit and remembered how depressed I was to have to go from the jets to the props. By the end of my tour at VRC-30, all was good.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
That's just because those in the know try to break into VRC.. :icon_smil

That could be a part of it. The good times on the beach blew away everything. Quality of life on deployment helped a lot of the anger to just fade away. Maybe P-3 life is the same being land based?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I have to agree with what everyone else has said. As some have alluded to bringing this up to the COC now may put you in a really bad situation. You certainly don't want to be "that guy" in the training command. In this case I think you would be "that guy" and it would keep you from ever making a transition if that's what you decide to do in the future.

MasterBates

Play your cards smart. If you want to do it in the future, burning bridges now is a really bad idea.

I was not that stoked about my selection from primary OR advanced, but I went there, did well, and now I am in training to fly something I want to.

I enjoyed flying my old aircraft. Had fun, did some crazy stuff. Now I get to fly something with a hook.

That Guy

Thanks for all the advice.

Since I didn't see if covered elsewhere, when should I mention the whole transition thing (assuming I still want it later)? I know you need at least one observed fitrep, but is that really a good time to bring it up? As has been said, I have no desire to shoot myself in the foot.

MasterBates

I would wait until you are a PPC and/or ANI/IP. Additional quals like FCP are a bonus.

HAC and ATO L3/L4 plus FCP, NVGI and LSO for the HSL guys.

PROVE YOURSELF. Do well. And realize that once you let the cat out of the bag, you are "dead" to your community, and you may get schwacked on FITREPS which will make it hard to get promoted if you don't get the transition.

Search for "transition" and my user name. Posts will be around May 06 to December 06.