• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transfer from VTU

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Yeah I get the sense that IRR-VTU is the most detached one can go and still make retirement. That is anecdotal only.
The VTU is the best deal in town bar none, especially if you are an O4 or O5 within ~5 or ~6 years of hitting your 20.

When I educate people on what it is and what you can do, the lightbulb goes off. Even some of the O5's in my unit tell me they should have done it years ago.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thank you all for the feedback. Taking your advice I think teledriling as much as possible while completing correspondence courses(with CAC) is best move for me at this point. Dropping out of VTU now could more painful than toughing out final year there. Again, appreciate the input.

With one year to go I wouldn't risk giving the Navy the opportunity to screw up and screw you, even if you do everything by the rules.

BGO: There are grandfathered IRR/BGO folks (I think of you were IRR AND a BGO like three years ago) who can keep submitting points, but it’s not an option to transfer to to the IRR now and get points as a BGO. Also, it sounds like there’s been some abuse by current IRR/BGO folks (claiming 3hrs/day for two months straight, for example), so even that is getting clamped down on.

Also, unless things have changed, you can’t get points unless you go to the early summer BGO training at USNA. I’d imagine this years is cancelled or at the very least you couldn’t get a spot at this point.

For other folks, BGO is a good deal, especially if you can get points for it...maybe in the VTU?

For the OP...funerals are a great deal. I felt like I was contributing more doing funerals than I ever was standing in line at the NOSC, or getting third flu shot of the season.

SELRES sucks, but I think your plan to telework, sched drills early, and basically get your points quickly is your best bet.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Yes, you can do BGO in the VTU. You just reschedule your drills for BGO activities or submit for non-pay additional drills.

SELRES_AMDO

Just an FYI for those interested.

Friend of mine requested to go IRR from SELRES status and was denied because they are past their MSO. Big Navy said they can stay SELRES, VTU, or goodbye and thanks for your service.

Another person I know received a letter from big Navy saying they're no longer needed in the IRR and they can affiliate as a reservist or resign. Not sure how many people received those letters. I may have misunderstood what he was telling me since it was a quick conversation in passing.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
The VTU is a a subset of the IRR.. There is IRR-VTU (drill for points only; not annual AT requirement; must maintain GMT/PHA/PFA, you have a CAC Card, etc.) and IRR-ASP (sat years through courses only).

People receiving the aforementioned letter are IRR-ASP. That is an easy fix... Go IRR-VTU. It's easy as hell.

SELRES_AMDO

Thanks.

I know VTU is a subset of IRR but I wasn't sure what the IRR for courses was called. From what I can tell, the IRR for courses to get to retirement is going away.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Why would you be one if you aren’t an academy grad?

I think most BGOs have some sort of affiliation with the academy
  1. I think it would be fun and rewarding to help local youth on college advice/applications.
  2. Extra retirement points.
  3. May want my kids to get accepted, when they are old enough.
  4. May want to go on 2 yr recall orders at O3/O4 to be a professor.
  5. May want to bring the kids to go watch USNA sporting events, e.g. football games.