• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transfer from VTU

Mike Williams

19 years with one to go! Am currently in VTU but am not loving it. So if I drop out of VTU to complete correspondence courses where do I drop to?
IRR-ASP, IRR-S1? I am a bit confused about the terms and with 19 years don't want to screw transfer up. My NOSC is clueless.
Thanks in advance.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
What is it that you do not like about the VTU? Have you considered Additional Duty (ADDU) to a drilling SELRES unit? I have two people (an E6 and an O4) in my VTU unit who are doing this and we concurrently sign their paper. You can also do ADT and ADSW (or whatever they call it these days).

Tell your NOSC to read MILPERSMAN 1001-100. You can also call PERS yourself: https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/career/reservepersonnelmgmt/IRR/Pages/IRR_FAQ.aspx

No way in hell I would go IRR-ASP this close to retirement. You will have no access, no CAC, no email, etc. Not even sure how people are getting the points these days. It's not the gravy train boondoggle it once was.

Even when you do request to retire when you are retirement eligible (it will pop up in NSIPS), you won't get your actual retirement letter for about 6 months after your request, so, you have more than 1 year to go.

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Can you volunteer for AT/ADT/ADSW? Not sure how CNAFR or CNRFC do it, but CNIFR maintains a list of such opportunities.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Can you volunteer for AT/ADT/ADSW? Not sure how CNAFR or CNRFC do it, but CNIFR maintains a list of such opportunities.
While in the VTU? The only set of orders you cannot do is paid AT. You can, however, do unpaid AT. You can do on ADT, ADSW, and can even volunteer for mobilization. You can also do paid funeral honors.

My current VTU CO (a prior Enlisted O5 with well over 20 years) did 145 funerals last year. He made more money doing the funerals than had he been in a SELRES status. No way in heck he would have been able to do that many funerals as a SELRES. If you are in what you feel is your terminal pay grade and have the time to spare, you can really soak up significant money and points in the VTU until you retire without the worry of the SELRES nonsense (e.g., department head roles, unit b.s., etc.).

Last edited:

Mike Williams

Thank you all for the feedback. Taking your advice I think teledriling as much as possible while completing correspondence courses(with CAC) is best move for me at this point. Dropping out of VTU now could more painful than toughing out final year there. Again, appreciate the input.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Thank you all for the feedback. Taking your advice I think teledriling as much as possible while completing correspondence courses(with CAC) is best move for me at this point. Dropping out of VTU now could more painful than toughing out final year there. Again, appreciate the input.
I sympathize as it can suck at times, however, you are too close to the finish line.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just so everyone is aware, I believe PERS is not approving ASP transfers for individuals who do not have service obligations left. It’s either SELRES, VTU, or resignation.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cut your own deal. I got the CO of the local Recruiting District HQ to make a by name request for me to the VTU. I spent years in a VTU "drilling" at the Navy Recruiting District HQ. I showed up when I wanted. Worked out special projects and ordinary tasks with the NRD CO. Went to airshows, spent afternoons on college campus', told innumerable sea stories to wannabes, and attended career fairs. The active duty guys signed a drill chit and I faxed it to the NOSC. The VTU CO didn't give a damn as long as I got the drills in.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
S1 and S2 are a thing, but neither of them are IRR-ASP. These days, it’s ride or die as either SELRES or IRR-VTU.

Yeah I get the sense that IRR-VTU is the most detached one can go and still make retirement. That is anecdotal only