• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Training opportunities

cedesq

Does anyone know what training ops might be available to intel reservists? Say I wanted to become a parachutist, could I pursue that type of training in addition to my regular duties? Or, is it only active duty personnel who get this training, 'cause I've been thinking about going the active duty route at some point. . . And, are there age limits I need to be aware of for such training? Thanks!

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
That would be great...
It seems like the navy is so hard up for cash these days that schools are pretty hard to get...
I really shouldn't be complaining as an STA-21 guy, but I am a little miffed that I still haven't be able to get a pistol/rifle qual in six years of active service...

Alright I am ready for my brow beating for that stunt.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
cedesq said:
Does anyone know what training ops might be available to intel reservists? Say I wanted to become a parachutist, could I pursue that type of training in addition to my regular duties? Or, is it only active duty personnel who get this training, 'cause I've been thinking about going the active duty route at some point. . . And, are there age limits I need to be aware of for such training? Thanks!

It's tough to generalize on this, since it is very situation dependent. What unit you are in, your specific job, funding profiles, available billets, if your Training Officer is a d!ck, - all can play in the equation. A lot depends on your own initiative - find a school you want, then do the "due diligence" required to grease all the skids. Make it really easy for the Training Officer or Front Office to say "Sure, sounds great." For example, don't go to the Training Officer and say "I want to go to Airborne School." Build a case for why you should go, find someone else who went and what they did/did not do, line up all the paperwork, and present it in one neat & tidy package.

If you were in an aviation unit, you could throw your hat in for things like Water Survival or SERE; there would likely be other platform-specific opportunities as well. If you end up in a regular old ONI or JIC/JAC unit, then don't expect too much in the way of "cool operational stuff" - it's hard to justify. Nothing's impossible, though.

Age limits? Generally not, although middle age can be cruel on your physical fitness - especially in classes/schools targeted at 20-somethings. Showing up at SERE as a 40+ year old is generally not advisable....

cedesq

SERE would be great, but hey, I totally understand that there are funding limits-- all sorts of limits everywhere-- and that a lot depends on the specifics of my case, so I'll just wait and see what happens! Great to hear that anything's possible if you're willing to work for it, though! So, my hopes for a little bit of "cool ops stuff" as you put it have not been quashed-- I appreciate your words of advise! Thanks!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like FMRAM pointed out, schools can be hard to get. Actually, schools ARE hard to get even when you need the school for your rate or even for promotion. It's just the way it is. However, this doesn't mean you need to accept this "as is" for your case. In my experience, I have found that very, very few people know how the system works in order to get schools, even the training petty officers who are responsible for getting the schools you want/need. What I always did was make sure I knew more than they did in scheduling schools for my guys. Sure, the "official" procedure is to go through the training bubbas at your command, but I always found that method to be inefficient and not quite as good at getting the desired results.

Your first battle will be TAD money. If the desired school you want will be "no cost TAD" then you have a much better chance of getting it. If however, your school does require TAD funds, you better be prepared to make the case for why the school is necessary for you and how it will help the command. If you can't do either, forget it.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nocal80 said:
I wouldn't "throw my hat in" for that one unless I had to.

Our CAG decided to send the CAG Intel O to SERE. Don't think he volunteered either. Real eye opener for him as a LCDR and senior "attendee".

cedesq

FlyInSpy mentioned ONI and JIC/JAC-- what are those units, if I may ask?

In response to nocal80: you're absolutely right, it would be no picnic at all . . . that's the idea! But think of it: for non-special ops types it's like the ultimate sort of training, right? You make it through that-- it says a lot about you!

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
heyjoe said:
Our CAG decided to send the CAG Intel O to SERE. Don't think he volunteered either. Real eye opener for him as a LCDR and senior "attendee".

yeah, I'm sure he had a great time. we had a pretty junior class, with only one 0-3 so I ended up being the xo, what fun!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
heyjoe said:

any particular reason for this special duty???