• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Training Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walker

Did anyone hear anything about the two students who crashed at el centro?

Edited by - walker on 05/24/2001 17:47:40

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Both were winged aviators (one of which was in the 60 FRS, that I know of), and they were flying a T34B.

Couple of my classmates went through Primary with one of the guys.

Jeff29

Science Project
They were actually out of NAS North Island and were flying a plane that the Navy had loaned to the North Island Navy Flying Club.

Two days before the accident, I was in the plane that crashed. Just a few minutes after taking off, the fog started rolling in so we turned around. I'm quite interested in the cause of the crash. If it was mechanical, and we had gone on our planned flight, we may not have made it back.

-Jeff

Walker

I heard of another t-34 crash in alabama. I heard the plane was based in Pensacola and that this one was a training accident. Did anyone else hear anything?

ASUPilot

Walker,

Yeah, I heard some stuff about the accident yesterday. I have a LCDR friend down at Pcola who's an IP for new IP's. He was actually up flying at the time of the accident and he said that the VT squadron is "very active" today trying to figure out what happened. The aircraft hit the ground at an incredible speed and neither pilots were able to egress safely, obviously. Rumor control says the plane was doing some low-level work...what ever that means. They were good men and it is so unfortunate things had to happen this way. I guess we'll all know more later next week.

bpikula

Memorial for 2 pilots Wednesday

S. Brady Calhoun
News Journal correspondent

A memorial service for the two local Navy officers who died in a plane crash Friday will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday at the Naval Aviation Memorial Chapel.

Pat Nichols, director of Public Affairs at Pensacola Naval Air Station, said that friends and co- workers will speak at the service. The public is invited to the ceremony.

Navy Lt. Cmdr. Mark H. Johnson, 42, and Navy Reserve Lt. Bantee L. Hall II, 31, died when their T-34C Turbo Mentor crashed in Little Lagoon near Gulf Shores about 12:30 p.m. Officials don't know what caused the crash, An investigation is under way.

The investigation and the recovery of the plane was stopped by Monday morning's harsh rain and tornado spouts, Nichols said.

Officials said they would have to wait for the weather to subside before they could continue searching.

Both men were assigned to training squadron four at Pensacola Naval Air Station.

Johnson was nearing retirement after serving more than 23 years. He worked his way up from enlisted ranks to earn a commission and become a pilot.

He left behind a wife, Robin, and two daughters, Lauren, 17, and Leah, 14.

Hall, who lives in Cantonment, joined the Navy in April 1995 after earning a chemical engineering degree from North Carolina A&T University.

He leaves behind a wife, Kimberly, and a son, Cameron Buck.

Steven Ruiz

These are the type of tragedies you have to deal with when aviation is part of your life. Lt. Hall was my div. O for a couple of months at HC8, in Norfolk, VA. I was stationed there from 95 till 99(enlisted).

Eventhough we sometimes loose great people, like Lt. Hall, we can not let things like this get in our way from achieving our dreams. I am graduating from FIU in a year and hopefully attending flight school following OCS.

I will always be thankful for what Mr. Hall and every other service member gave and are still giving the us; FREEDOM!

On behalf of all my family and friends, thank you.

Steven

Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.