• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tourette's Syndrome Waiver Appeal

hakers11

Hello everyone,

Recently I completed my MEPS medical paperwork and I was recommended from the station's doctors for waivers for both my history of Tourette's syndrome and astigmatism.

I heard back last week that my request for waivers was declined and I have been disqualified for service on the physical standards of the Navy (Manual of the Medical Department Chapter 15).

I wanted to inquire on the possibility of appealing the decision through whatever means possible, and appreciate any insight on my situation, I will list details on my diagnoses below.

Astigmatism: 20/40 both eyes correctable to 20/20. Met with a M.D. consult, negative for keratoconus, recommended for waiver. Currently looking into PRK.

Tourette's Syndrome: Began seeing a pediatric neurologist in 2003, age 8, under parents decision. Diagnosed with mild Tourette's Sydrome about a year later after two more visits to the same Doctor. Began a low dose prescription of Tenex (Guanafacine) for a period of about four years. No real conclusion that medication helped my symptoms and was discontinued. Minor symptoms existed through early high school, and stopped seeing my doctor regularly around 2013. (Senior year of high school). Determined asymptomatic around this time, cleared for all pursuits with no reservations. Revisited this doctor again in both 2014 and 2017 for FAA First Class Medical applications considered asymptomatic on both occasions. Revisited in 2018 for Navy medical purposes, same conclusion.

I was hoping to hear any and all suggestions I can take to appeal this decision and thank you all for your time!

exNavyOffRec

Hello everyone,

Recently I completed my MEPS medical paperwork and I was recommended from the station's doctors for waivers for both my history of Tourette's syndrome and astigmatism.

I heard back last week that my request for waivers was declined and I have been disqualified for service on the physical standards of the Navy (Manual of the Medical Department Chapter 15).

I wanted to inquire on the possibility of appealing the decision through whatever means possible, and appreciate any insight on my situation, I will list details on my diagnoses below.

Astigmatism: 20/40 both eyes correctable to 20/20. Met with a M.D. consult, negative for keratoconus, recommended for waiver. Currently looking into PRK.

Tourette's Syndrome: Began seeing a pediatric neurologist in 2003, age 8, under parents decision. Diagnosed with mild Tourette's Sydrome about a year later after two more visits to the same Doctor. Began a low dose prescription of Tenex (Guanafacine) for a period of about four years. No real conclusion that medication helped my symptoms and was discontinued. Minor symptoms existed through early high school, and stopped seeing my doctor regularly around 2013. (Senior year of high school). Determined asymptomatic around this time, cleared for all pursuits with no reservations. Revisited this doctor again in both 2014 and 2017 for FAA First Class Medical applications considered asymptomatic on both occasions. Revisited in 2018 for Navy medical purposes, same conclusion.

I was hoping to hear any and all suggestions I can take to appeal this decision and thank you all for your time!

I would say you are being caught up in the "current or history of" issue, it very well may not matter that you have no issues now, what matters is you had it in the past.

I would not bother with PRK unless the Tourette's issue is cleared up.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello everyone,

Very unlikely chance. I had a friend who had a similar background - fought tooth and nail including getting some Medical Admirals involved. Long story short, the N33 Doctor said no. I should note the N33 Doctor at the time (2015) was probably one of the most "open" to entertaining waivers by the way.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a "hot chick with Tourette's" story from my time in DC... which is best told over beers. Long story-short, symptoms subsided during the act. :D

jmcquate

Contributor
I have a "hot chick with Tourette's" story from my time in DC... which is best told over beers. Long story-short, symptoms subsided during the act. :D
Did you take her to Nats games so she didn't feel uncomfortable?;)