• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top Gun 2

Notanaviator

Contributor
Angry, please note that Max’s context in viewing the original flick is that of the Russian military, where, and I’m not being facetious, downed equipment and design failures resulting in fatalities do not raise one’s hackles as being tragic. Max/GRU dudes, sorry for being indelicate.

On another note, I recall one book, One Soldiers War by Arkady Babchenko, which is a pretty raw view of how Ol Vlad’s not-quite-all-volunteer force functions (or doesn’t! I won’t post spoilers, but it’s about Chechnya, so..). Interesting read.

Max, whatcha think about the 2020 election?! Or is that not your department? More FSB than GRU?

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Guys you're crazy. Bacevich whom I quoted is an American Army officer! It's about your interservice rivalry, and not the fact you know I'm on the other side of the globe.
But ok: a couple of years before TG, namely 1983, there was Soviet movie "Torpedo Airmen", all about 1943 in Arctic waters where Soviet torpedo-bombers tried to hunt on Nazi coastal convoys. A slaughter in the sky each time and fucking frozen hell on the land, with lost children and cheating women, with black snow, with fear and top grass' indifference. The war as it is. And though they had hit some vessels, all in vain - Gerries will send them again, and soon all the main cast characters will die in the flaming bombers. But they at least tried as the film showed. In reality, all 134 aerial torpedoes dropped by Soviet torpedo-bombers in 1943 over there scored no hits at all...
The Soviet recruiting movies of those times were presented by a pair of "blue beret" blockbusters - they're selling airborne assault forces. And I've bought but found out being too tall for this Army service:(
Yet again, TG became available here on VHS in 1988 when Commies were at death's door and people took it rather kinda sport/competition story than something about war...

Last edited:

Max the Mad Russian

More FSB than GRU?

FSB is LEA, GRU is military branch. Never kidding the former and full speed ahead with the latter, they're dumb enough. BTW, in USSR there was only serious organization picking cadre in the way similar to US military - i.e. mostly from civilian colleges (via OCS and NROTC in US case and special schools here, respectively): the KGB. It had the only college level edu installation for both agents and LEA officers - Highest School in Moscow, uniformed, roughly similar to US service academies, but its alumni counted of just about 20% of all KGB officers. The main officers body of KGB (except for pure military branches, i.e. Border Protection Forces and Coast Guard) stemmed from civilian universities, just like someone known as Vladimir Putin:D and almost all his junta members

Max the Mad Russian

But there was plenty of shit that went wrong in the movie if you paid attention.

Yes, right. To me it's fair enough and I personally took TG with delight. Honestly I'd rather explain Bacevich's opinion by pure envy - tanks (and average Army equipment either) and their crews are always stained with dirt, oil and fuel and generally Army life is so far from sexy and cool images created by TG:D Pics below just to compare:p

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
It was bound to happen...maybe this is all we will ever get of this movie.

According to our Google Overlords, the non-LEGO version is supposed to release July 2 of this year (2021)... Still won't be the longest gap between an original movie and its sequel. Bonus points if you can guess the longest movie-sequel gap without Googling it.

Hint: It isn't Star Wars.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Star Wars was only like 4-5 years. I'll toss out Blade Runner, off the top of my head. Pretty sure that came out in '91 or '92.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Star Wars was only like 4-5 years. I'll toss out Blade Runner, off the top of my head. Pretty sure that came out in '91 or '92.
Never mind...wrote something stupid...feel horrible...ignore this.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

Blade runner is a solid guess, at >30 years before the sequel was released.

Star Wars: If you ignore the recent sequels and stick strictly to the original trilogy, it was 3 years between them (1977-80-83). If you choose to count the sequel to Return of the Jedi (ep 6), it was about 32 years years until The Force Awakens (ep 7) was released in 2015. I won't even talk about the prequels, since they are irrelevant to the sequel-gap challenge, among other things.

I had to look this one up. Nope.

Maybe something Disney like Mary Poppins?

We have a winner. 54 years.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Blade runner is a solid guess, at >30 years before the sequel was released.

Star Wars: If you ignore the recent sequels and stick strictly to the original trilogy, it was 3 years between them (1977-80-83). If you choose to count the sequel to Return of the Jedi (ep 6), it was about 32 years years until The Force Awakens (ep 7) was released in 2015. I won't even talk about the prequels, since they are irrelevant to the sequel-gap challenge, among other things.

I had to look this one up. Nope.

We have a winner. 54 years.
Winner for Disney, right? It wasn’t really 54 years between Poppins movies?