• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top Gun 2

jvjack18

No way the Navy let him fly but there is a P51 in it and I wouldn't be surprised if it is him flying his own since he does own a P51...

Python

pilot
Contributor
This belongs in the stupid question thread. FWIW, he did ask. NAWDC actual politely declined.

Heard he wasn’t just with NAWDC, but with VFA-122 as well. Don’t know how much they let him “fly.”

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Heard he wasn’t just with NAWDC, but with VFA-122 as well. Don’t know how much they let him “fly.”
For the most part, when TC was in the cockpit, it was in the NAWDC jet painted up for the shoot with all the cameras installed. Not sure the extent to which he flew in 122, but they also shot a bunch of stuff in Whidbey (with the NAWDC jet).

He also had a habit of trying to goad the actual pilots into doing unbriefed/dangerous stuff. Kind of a dick move, IMO. CNAF already waivered a bunch of stuff to let them get some really cool shots.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I saw a cool post on LinkedIn today from 265's PM giving a BZ to the NAVAIR engineers and instrumentation folks who did all the IFCs and installations for cameras.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I saw a cool post on LinkedIn today from 265's PM giving a BZ to the NAVAIR engineers and instrumentation folks who did all the IFCs and installations for cameras.
It's pretty impressive how much gear they were able to attach to the outside of that jet. The inside aft cockpit had like 7 different angles. Also, lots of CGI. It's funny because we had a bunch of LT staff members walking around in flight suits w/ O6 rank on them.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
I heard TC was an absolute disaster when filming the first one. I also hear Val Kilmer was a legit dude and treated everyone great.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I bet not even Maverick could achieve a valid drop on a GBU-24...

Rumor in Lemoore a few months ago was Tom Cruise asked to get a Rhino NATOPS qual, and the Navy thankfully said no. He flew in the back seat of at least a couple of VFA-122 jets, including the one they painted up in a baby-blue "Top Gun" paint scheme. I thought the paint was a little ugly. The cool part is TC flew up to NLC in his P-51 every day, while the rest of his entourage flew up in a Gulfstream. I personally had more interest in the aircraft parked on the T-line than the production itself. Watching a movie being made is actually one of the most boring things imaginable (I'd imagine like a lot of things, its less boring when you're actually involved)