• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Too many aircraft in the Marine Corps?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I’m not sure it’s a function or too many aircraft, as the title suggests, but instead not enough funding during some crucial high tempo years.

however, I expect there to be changes in the coming years

Why?

We've done so much with less and less, and we've had so many commanders that fudge the numbers and "make it happen" (and don't have a mishap by sheer luck) in the name of golden path promotions, what makes you think it will get better?

I seriously think that it will take a very large paradigm shift to get us back to where we once were.

There are certain sects of aviation where the risk is less, and the system is less broken- but as a whole, shit is broken- and the latest budget the executive put forward cuts even more money that could be used to improve readiness in favor of some rusty steel on the southern border because xenophobic, ignorant, backwoods hicks feel threatened and can't think beyond their initial emotional reactions.

Choppering

pilot
None
Why?

We've done so much with less and less, and we've had so many commanders that fudge the numbers and "make it happen" (and don't have a mishap by sheer luck) in the name of golden path promotions, what makes you think it will get better?

I seriously think that it will take a very large paradigm shift to get us back to where we once were.

There are certain sects of aviation where the risk is less, and the system is less broken- but as a whole, shit is broken- and the latest budget the executive put forward cuts even more money that could be used to improve readiness in favor of some rusty steel on the southern border because xenophobic, ignorant, backwoods hicks feel threatened and can't think beyond their initial emotional reactions.

I don’t see better funding. I see a downsize in the number of Marine aviation assets over the next decade. My guess is it will start with HMLA and move on from there.

As a side comment, I don’t believe in the idea of “more with less.” It literally makes no sense. There is always a price to pay on physical assets. The real no shit readiness today shows that.

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
I don’t see better funding. I see a downsize in the number of Marine aviation assets over the next decade. My guess is it will start with HMLA and move on from there.

As a side comment, I don’t believe in the idea of “more with less.” It literally makes no sense. There is always a price to pay on physical assets. The real no shit readiness today shows that.

Totally agree. Already saw it a few years ago with 467. Seven HMLA squadrons aren't exactly needed for the increasingly small role H-1s are suited for in the next couple years. This is probably the wrong attitude to have, but it's somewhat vindicating watching the panic after all the years of ignoring calls for joint mission systems and more meaningful deployments (amongst other shortfalls). An entire generation of skid pilots have put in a lot of blood, sweat, and tears just to black out in the Scar Bar on their 3rd UDP. Hear about someone dropping papers basically daily.

joe dirt

pilot
Totally agree. Already saw it a few years ago with 467. Seven HMLA squadrons aren't exactly needed for the increasingly small role H-1s are suited for in the next couple years. This is probably the wrong attitude to have, but it's somewhat vindicating watching the panic after all the years of ignoring calls for joint mission systems and more meaningful deployments (amongst other shortfalls). An entire generation of skid pilots have put in a lot of blood, sweat, and tears just to black out in the Scar Bar on their 3rd UDP. Hear about someone dropping papers basically daily.
The only ones who black out at the scar bar are the guys who get off on giving mouth hugs to the field grade...
But we can totally fuck with your NEXTEL direct connect phone, so that’s a plus for the community.