• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

To all you pilots: Thank you! And do you have some advice for me?

Cetrian

Air Warriors,

I know this may seem a little odd - but I am not a pilot, and yet I have been reading your forums for the past 3 or so months. Oddly enough I stumbled upon this forum when searching google for PRK experiences with people who are very anal about their vision. I guess it's no surprise that I ended up on a forum for military pilots and pilots-to-be. Even though I've been "lurking" on the forum, reading your experiences and not posting, I feel a little involved in your group. Thank you for all of your experiences - you've helped me with my own.

I decided to have PRK over laser-assisted LASIK at a local TLC center, on December 12th of last year. That makes me 7 weeks post-op today. I had a slight astigmatism, with my left eye being a lot worse than my right. Both of my eyes were less than 2.5 correction, and at 180 degrees.

So, 7 weeks later I function ok without any correction, but my left eye is steal healing and is fairly blurry. My right eye is just about 20/20. My left still sees 20/40 on a good day, and it's kind of a double vision. It does cause headaches, and I'm getting a little worried. (I know I still have more time to fully heal)

So my question to you Air Warriors has little to do with vision, though:
Today I was laid off from my job as a computer engineer for a large company. I'm 26 years old, and I have always been downright infatuated with flying. My grandfather owned an FBO and I grew up working on it. I'm not married - my only root is my dog, Gambit. I feel as though I could spruce up my resume and get another soul-sucking corporate job for a little more money - or I could finally do what I've always dreamed of doing. To tell the truth - I'm a little starry-eyed and I'd like a reality check from you folks who have gone through the real process of becoming a fighter pilot. I understand it's an extreme process that demands extreme talent. I'm willing to give it everything I've got.

I don't think I've ever been as excited about an idea as I am now, about exploring the idea of becoming not just a pilot - but one who flys the most advanced machines humans have ever built. For what it's worth - I have worked for Lockheed Martin in the past, actually on the F35 (JSF) project, and have a clearance.

What do you all think? Am I being impatient with my eyes? Am I drunk on the idea of flying a fighter? Or am I waking up to what I really want to do with my life?

Sincerely,
Ryan

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Do you have any prior service? When do you turn 27? There is a few months wait for post-op PRK surgery...someone who has had it done can tell you the wait time on that before you could go to Officer Candidate School.

The max age for pilot and naval flight officer is to be commissioned before turning 27 unless you have prior time in the armed forces. OCS is 12 weeks long, allow a month or two to put together your application and dealing with your recruiter and then "assuming" you get selected for pilot or NFO..allow between 2 weeks and a month or two to get a final select letter prior to going to OCS.

That right there is almost 8-10 months...it could be possible if your vision was adequate already but the PRK surgery and lag time may not work out for you.

That being said..if you really want to be an officer and serve, there are other jobs like Surface Warfare Officer (read: ships) , that has a higher minimum age requirement, like 30 I think.

Cetrian

Thanks for the information. Not to sound insulting or anything, but I was actually looking at the Air Force, as opposed to the Navy. I hear the AF's limit is 29, and the Navy is 27 (at the time of application.) Not sure if this is true.

No, I have never served before. I turn 27 on April 2nd of this year.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Thanks for the information. Not to sound insulting or anything, but I was actually looking at the Air Force, as opposed to the Navy. I hear the AF's limit is 29, and the Navy is 27 (at the time of application.) Not sure if this is true.

No, I have never served before. I turn 27 on April 2nd of this year.

Try ww.baseops.net for all air force info