• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tips for running because I suck.

Jaquel

Thanks for all of the info guys. It seems I'm doing a ton of things wrong. I'm really new to most things athletic and just seemed to jump right into running, so it looks like I've left out a whole bunch of important things. I'm going to need to stay hydrated on days I run and eat my arch-nemesis: the banana. Also I've really only been doing situps, what should I be doing in terms of back excercises?

Widow43-NICK

I think the best way to get the most out of Aerobic training is to warm-up correctly. Try training at 0830 or early morning. I warm up for approx 800m with a slow jog with walks every 100m for a few seconds while stopping to stretch off. Then set off into a gentle jog steadliy getting into your comfort zone. After 10 mins normal jogging. increase to 65%-70% for ten mins. You want to be looking at the amount of time that you are training for rather than the distance covered. Basic fitness is ideal at 40 mins steady state running. Increase your heart rate by sprinting inbetween lamp posts or traffic lights etc then walk, then jog, then sprint etc. Enjoy

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
I've really only been doing situps, what should I be doing in terms of back excercises?
Things you really would want to consider adding would include leg lifts (wherein you keep your back on the floor and raise your legs). This targets lower abs.
Your sides can be targeted a few different ways. Side crunches immediately come to mind, wherein you lay on your side, with your lower leg extended and your top leg curled. You might also try sitting with your legs and torso off the floor, taking a weight (could be a jug of water, for example) and rotating it over your chest.
Lastly, for your back, you can lay on your stomach, keeping your feet to the floor and using your lower half to lever your torso upwards.

These are only some, and remember, don't over-do anything your first few times out. Hopefully they help you out though.

JhwK08

Good point - try and do a lot of flutter kicks too. I can pretty much guarantee that you will be doing them at your ROTC unit. The more core strength you have the easier everything will be.

Just don't get discouraged about running - the more you get in shape the less you will cramp up. The worst thing would be to try and push yourself too hard, fail or get injured, and get discouraged. It's not an overnight thing.

Jaquel

Just finished my run for today after making sure I drank enough water before heading out and I did a few side-ups yesterday. The side cramps were deffinately better than they were before, although they still do exist. At least they aren't what is hurting the most now. My legs get sore big time with the extra time I can run now that I don't stop for my side cramps.(Hilly road is killing me.) Thanks a ton for the suggestions! I'm going to try eating a banana next time to see if that helps relieve them even more.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Side/stomach cramps just come with the territory. A lot of people have special techniques for dealing with them, but the simple fact is that you're putting muscles that you don't use often through stress that they haven't really experienced yet. When I take time off from running I always get those damn things when I start up again. Run through the discomfort. After a few weeks they will be a thing of the past.

jtmedli

pilot
I get side stitch pretty badly when I run and don't breathe correctly. If I get in the habit of breathing in the rhythm with my stride so that I exhale and inhale on the same foot every time then the side stitch will kill me at the mile and a half. Dehydration never helps either!!!