• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Time away from home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe2surf

I'm trying to get a good idea of how much time away from home is normal, if there is such a thing. I know most people are in their first operational squadron for about three years, during which they will deploy. Beside the normal six month deployments, how much more are you on the boat, TDY? How long after getting back from six month cruises is it before you go on another six monther. Is there shorter cruises that you go on as well? Thanks.

Gabe2surf

I don't know what the "work up cycle" is. Could you please explain it to me? Also after a six month cruise, how long is it before you guys do another cruise/deployment? This is really weighing heavily on me, as far as making a decision to apply to Fly Navy, because of trying to have a family and also trying to imagine what it is like to be away from home for six months or more on a ship. I guess it's just one of those things that has to be done to get a real understanding of it. I imagine words really can't do it justice.

Paul Burke

The work up cycle is a series of going back and forth to the boat for anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks at a time in order to bring all the crew up to par as far as operations underway. For the squadrons, it means that the aircrews get plenty of practice with carrier landings and working together as an airwing. Also, squadrons will do a few detachments to Fallon, NV to practice playing together.

As far as the time between deployments, that all depends. I lucked up and got a squadron that just got off a cruise and then the ship went into dry dock and we sat around for 18 months doing land detachments and only made 1 cruise. However, a buddy of mine left straight for the boat right after FRAMP and wound up making 3 cruises before he got out. So it all depends on the luck of the draw.

Edited by - Paul Burke on 04/02/2002 01:21:52

Status
Not open for further replies.