• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Throw A Nickle in the Grass...

dvhughes

Great to see another "Scooter Driver" here, only a couple on AW at present. I was an IP in VA-44 at Cecil when you were in VA-172. Flew A-4s 1959-74 in VAs-94, 55, 125, 146 & 44. Care to share your A-4 war/sea stories here?:D
BzB
I went thru VA-44 at Cecil Field in '68. Mike Sullivan, Bill Ranson, John Carcaba, etc. were all there. Then went to VA-172. John Yamnicky was the Skipper. One great aviator! John was killed in the Pentagon crash on 9/11. He was a passenger in the plane. My last tour was in VT-25 at Beeville, TX. I joined the reserves in '72 at NAS Dallas and went into RTU-201. PJ Smith was the Skipper. Then went into the FBI in '73 and had to drop out of the reserves. ;<(. Dennis Hughes

dvhughes

When did you go through 44? I was there with, Corkyboy and Derf (members here at AW who no longer post) during the mid to late 60’s. Hangar 67, Yuma, and the Lex? Fun times!

Steve
I went through AV-44 in '68, VA-172 in 68-'69 and VT-25 in '69-'71. All great tours. Mike Sullivan and Bill Ransom were IP in 44 at the time. Joe Adkinson was the Skipper. My timing was just right! - Dennis Hughes

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I went thru VA-44 at Cecil Field in '68. Mike Sullivan, Bill Ranson, John Carcaba, etc. were all there. Then went to VA-172. John Yamnicky was the Skipper. One great aviator! John was killed in the Pentagon crash on 9/11. He was a passenger in the plane. My last tour was in VT-25 at Beeville, TX. I joined the reserves in '72 at NAS Dallas and went into RTU-201. PJ Smith was the Skipper. Then went into the FBI in '73 and had to drop out of the reserves. ;<(. Dennis Hughes
Yeah, I remember those guyz, I was OinC Weapons Det w/ Carcaba, and "Mr. Yams" was our OpsO in VA-146 1965-'66. Great man, horrible loss. I arrived VA-44 Jan. '68 - left Dec. '69, so was there when you went through.

Below, a montage of IP photos made for Skipper Joe Adkins COC. Also, one from one of my Roosy Roads Wpns Dets.

*BusyBee, bottom row, 3rd from left

VA-44 Officers.jpg

*BusyBee top row, 2nd from right

Rosy Roads 1969.jpg
va44a.gif

BzB

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bottom row of the montage, 3rd from the right. USAF exchange officer?
Yessir, Capt. Mike Korte USAF, a full-blooded Native American, and great Squadronmate. He jumped out of an A-4 while I was there.:eek:
BzB

brownshoe

Contributor
Bottom row of the montage, 3rd from the right. USAF exchange officer?
Yep, we had a few. They seemed to be in a strange land with us (kinda;)) but were good guys.

We (VA-44) had sort of a strange history with A4's during the 60's. We trained the Israeli ground crews and the pilots when that country bought the Skyhawks. And we also swapped planes with other seagoing A4 squadrons. We'd take planes from them that had the shit flown out em' and give them planes that we'd OR'd. We kept, at times, close to 100 planes in inventory. Busy times then at hangar 67. But still lots of fun! What I wouldn't give to be able to "click my heels" and go back in time to have a few beers with Lonnie, Walt and Derf at the Happy Hour Lounge.

Jim Karg, an IP at 44, transitioned from the Navy to the Air Force. Someone didn't like that he did canopy rolls over a COD one afternoon. The AF didn't mind and he did a few more tours over Nam flying Thuds. Good guy and a great officer. Not to mention he drove a MGA as I did. We'd sometimes play tag up 103rd;).

Last edited: