• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Those who have to wear glasses when flying

Status
Not open for further replies.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
This is probably old, but it has helped me.

For those who have to wear glasses when they fly, the ones that they will issue you at Pcola, SUCK! Wearing them and a helmet is a great recipe for a migrane.

While you are in Pcola or when you first get to primary, go to base optical and ask them to order you a pair of the "wrap around" frames. Instead of having a huge piece of plastic on each side of your head for the helmet to mash...
now it fits snuggly behind your ear and has no interaction with the helmet.

savingthisone

bigeyes2_125.gif
Contacts require permission of Flight Surgeon.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Is it a big deal to get the 'permission' from the Flight Surgeon? I really don't want to wear glasses in the cockpit.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Didn't used to be. You have to always have your specs as a backup though.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
even if you can't wear contacts, the wrap arounds are hardly noticelbe (to me anyway) in the cockpit

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Got a website of these 'wrap arounds'? Secondly, do they make prescribed aviator glasses? Thanks.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
At NAS corpus the base optometry clinic has about 15 different frames to choose from, so you can actually get glasses that you are not embarrassed to wear in public.
FYI.... ask for a pair of prescription(sp?) sunglasses....they will make you a pair of old school aviator sunglasses that are 100 times better than the **** sunglasses that they are issuing in P'cola.

On that note...if you are reading this and have not yet done your NAMI whami physical(the one you will do when you first get down to pensacola).....when you are talking to the eye doc (probably the last thing you do for the physical) ask to get a different pair of frames...TELL THEM YOU DO NOT WANT THE STANDARD ISSUE CRAP. All they have to do is change three little letters on your eye glasses order form and like magic the BC nightmare goes away.
(I know im rambling but...) The navy is only supposed to issue you one set of glasses every year after your initial issue so if you let them screw you on the first order you will be left with two sets of glasses that no sane person would wear in public. SPEAK UP!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
EA-6B1 said:
Is it a big deal to get the 'permission' from the Flight Surgeon? I really don't want to wear glasses in the cockpit.

Nope, just ask him and he would likely sign them off. I never had a problem with getting that done.

Rainman

pilot
Everytime I've ordered glasses flight glasses and civilian glasses have been seperate counts. . It is my understanding one pair of civilian glasses per year. I have always received as many flight glasses as necessary as they are required for duty (what are you gonna do go out on town and get them -- not necessary). On a related note you can get as many gas mask and BCG that are necessary. . . .. .

Contacts in the jet pipeline are no problem. Until you have your wings, you get to pay for them. They are FAR better for dynamic flight like BFM as long as you remember to blink.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My flight surgeon told me that I needed to carry a set of glasses while flying with contacts in (Just in case). Not a big deal. PLus if you get to a tactical jet that requires the use of NVD (night vision devices...like goggles), you get contacts AND solution issued. SWEET.
ea6bflyr

GrandMastaJ84

Flight Glasses

Sry everybody if it seems like a stupid question, but I am a USNA hopeful, I was wondering why DODMERB makes such a big deal about having perfect vision when pilots where glasses or contacts? Or am I missing something here? Plz someone help me out! :confused:

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
they figure if you start out with perfect/normal vision that it is less likely your eyes will get that much worse. After you start your flight training the military has invested so much money in you it is not cost effective to get rid of you at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.