• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

This place sucks ass.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Word +1

Ever been to Enid, America? We have friends that went Enid -> K'ville -> Meridian
You think your stations suck? Try that compilation of shit.

Try this on for size. We HATED JAX and P'cola the first time we lived there (both cities). We have lived in both cities again (currently in JAX) and love both of them now.

It's all about perspective. At least you're not getting fed government supplied sand for $0.35/day per-diem (yet).

I don't like someone pinching my nipples. I don't like getting kicked in the nuts either. But after getting kicked in the nuts, the nipple-pinching ain't half bad. :D

/innuendo barrage engage

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Meridian really isn't too bad....I've been a lot of other places and I still call this home
To each their own and all, but get back to me when the tallest building in town is no longer abandoned. And you finally get the humidity machine fixed so it's not stuck on "high." :icon_tong

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I have lived the first part of that scenario: Enid -> K'rock

I have to say, whether or not you hate life when you are stationed at these places is purely a function of your attitude.

There were a number of things about Enid that I really enjoyed. I think its a trade off.

Enid was a small (country) town. Virtually non-existant crime rate and very friendly population. Had a few good places to eat. It was a small town atmosphere. Spent a lot of time outside there. Everyone knew eachother, and someone was barbequing every night. Nothing was more than a 5 minute drive away.

Oklahoma City was an hour and a half away (felt like a lot closer: fast, country driving with very little stops or traffic), and really allowed one to quench their thirst for civillization a couple times a month. OKC had anything one could want or need: Great bar scene, more than enough shopping (3 or 4 big, nice malls), PLENTY of good eateries, some good hotels, etc.

So by allowing myself to focus on the positives, I had a great time in Enid (being on the AF leash is a whole other side to the story).

As far as K'rock, I haven't really been here long enough to 'judge' it, but so far I don't have too many complaints. I like Corpus (has most everything I need). The fun times to be had in San Antonio and Austin are a bit farther away.

If I had one complaint about K'rock, it would be that parts of the town seem shady as all hell, and I wouldn't want to be caught there alone and unarmed between the hours of 10PM and 2AM. Supposedly they have quite the gang/drug problem here. Area of town I live in though you don't see any of that. I like the small base though. Has the amenities of a larger base (well, decent commissary and NEX aside). Again, I also like being a 5 minute drive away from the squadron.

/End of useless rant.

Reactions: Tom

BrittO

pilot
Been all over

Ok..down and dirty on my track.
Went to meridian, then to Lemoore (125) then to Oceana (131) currently off the coast of Pakistan doing OEF.
1. lemoore: Thought it would suck ass however, if you dont mind driving a little the there are loads of places within 3-5 hours. San Diego (4.5 at best), San Fran (3.5). Skiing (3) Hiking in Sequoia sp? 1 hour.
Flying in lemoore is also a blast...far less restrictions imposed (you can do the carrier break) and never have to wear the damn dry suit. With the new overhead moa you can complete more training and just circle down to the field at a 2.5K fuel. Lemoore ended up being a blast, i roomed with 3 other guys, 1 in 125 with me and the other 2 in 122 ( all pilots). Rent is cheap and parties are plentifull.
2. Oceana: I never expected to be sent to Oceana from lemoore...i was told that is was most unlikely but in the end all my rag class and the class behind me were sent there or Beaufort. It turned out great also. I live..or at least have an apartment on the beach. Compared to lemoore there is far less driving to get to places and far more things to do locally. That said, there is no skiing nearby, the speed limits are rigoddamndiculous and strictly enforced and you end up wearing the dry suit from November- April depending on the COs policy. Flying there is pretty good...more restrictions than lemoore and meridian...no carrier break or regular FCLP pattern anywhere (you will do the real one first behind the boat after some non training at Fentress and Oceana. Countering that, working areas permit supersonic flight and there is a TACTS range for better debriefs.
Finally, the east coast seems to have newer legacy hornets (if thats what u get). 131 has lot 19-21s and have it all..basically everything a Rhino has minus the gas and AESA.

Thats about it..any questions ill get back to you when not over Afghanistan.

FLY_USMC

pilot
I went Enid--->Meridian--->Lemoore. I agree with all the above about Enid, small town life, abundance of friendly faces. Meridian had 1 or 2 dive bars...if that...and out of all the places I've been...had probably the least amount of stuff to do, but it wasn't bad. Lemoore....you can almost say anything you want about the Lemoore...the air quality...the smell...the water quality, but almost all of it is trumped by the fact that VFA-125 is an OUTSTANDING Squadron. The CO that's there right now is frigain money, the sim instructors there are absolutely amazing and some of the most knowledgeable, coolest guys I've ever met....don't tell them that. I still keep in touch with them, they are those kinds of people. The flying, like it has been said before, is absolutely great. The ranges are close and plentiful, the weather is beautiful...almost to a fault...and lets be honest, the party at Tailhook IS AT 125's admin. I've loved the road I've taken to get where I'm at....wouldn't change a thing......right up until the point I got fucked by this IA.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lemoore

I went Enid--->Meridian--->Lemoore. I agree with all the above about Enid, small town life, abundance of friendly faces. Meridian had 1 or 2 dive bars...if that...and out of all the places I've been...had probably the least amount of stuff to do, but it wasn't bad. Lemoore....you can almost say anything you want about the Lemoore...the air quality...the smell...the water quality, but almost all of it is trumped by the fact that VFA-125 is an OUTSTANDING Squadron. The CO that's there right now is frigain money, the sim instructors there are absolutely amazing and some of the most knowledgeable, coolest guys I've ever met....don't tell them that. I still keep in touch with them, they are those kinds of people. The flying, like it has been said before, is absolutely great. The ranges are close and plentiful, the weather is beautiful...almost to a fault...and lets be honest, the party at Tailhook IS AT 125's admin. I've loved the road I've taken to get where I'm at....wouldn't change a thing......right up until the point I got fucked by this IA.
Another plus about Lemoore which is seldom considered, is that if you spend a few years there, you will by necessity, become the very best actual instrument pilot you can be. When the winter "poler" foggy season sets in (Dec-Feb) you do well to find your bird on the flight line or your way home in a car.
I spent a total of 10 years operating out of Lemoore. After the first year of adjustment...loved it! BzB:)

*NLC Poler Fog Index: 1/2/3 poler=the number of telephone poles you can see driving the OPs area road! :p

brownshoe

Contributor
...you do well to find your bird on the flight line or your way home in a car.

Hugh,

Jacksonville was that way too during the rainy season! Hell, I'd be lucky to hit a bull in the ass with a base fiddle, it was so foggy at times! Wait... could have been because I was drunk!;)

Steve

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I'll echo all of the above WRT Enid. I grew up in Havelock, so it's not such a bad transition.

Not that it really matters though. I'm apparently in the big-boy AF flight training program and they still treat us like children. Not much time to get out and see the sights. :icon_rage

hornsfan

happy to be here
pilot
2. Oceana: I never expected to be sent to Oceana from lemoore...i was told that is was most unlikely but in the end all my rag class and the class behind me were sent there or Beaufort. It turned out great also.

How often does this happen? Is it a pretty safe bet if you are in the Oceana/Lemoore FRS that you stay in the same place for your first squadron? How about the Japan squadrons, do more Japan guys come from the west coast FRS or does it even matter?

Just curious...

FLY_USMC

pilot
It's all about availability. Availability of spots in a RAG class close to when you finish Advanced....combined with you physically having the ability to PCS the distance and arrive with some wait time. Do they try to keep you on the same coast, seems like they put some thought into it, but lets be honest, the military is about mission accomplishment, not efficiency. BrittO's entire class went from West to East....my class all stayed in Lemoore, so it just depends. Don't think if you are going to Miramar that the Marine Corps will send you there either, again, it all depends. I mean for god's sake I drove 1800 miles to Lemoore, and PCS'd 2600 miles 11 months later.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Don't think if you are going to Miramar that the Marine Corps will send you there either, again, it all depends. I mean for god's sake I drove 1800 miles to Lemoore, and PCS'd 2600 miles 11 months later.

Speaking of which (and yes, to re-hash an old revived thread), I knew a couple guys who had gotten Miramar, ended up at -101, and found out during air-to-air that they would be going to Japan or switching to Beaufort because MAG-11 was full of pilots at the time. That and a lot of us Navy guys that went through -101 ended up in Oceana for whatever reason. I don't think geography factors into their decision making very much. Granted the USMC types leave the VT's with fleet duty station orders, and go where there is availability to do the RAG (reverse of Navy), but either way, it doesn't make much sense in terms of cost. No complaints though!

Reactions: Fog

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
When trying to get gouge on a duty station, the best route is to ask someone who has the same marital situation and interests as you. "One mans trash is anothers treasure" is totally true. If there was a Marine unit in Lemoore I would gladly leave Beaufort and the sand fleas for the cow poop smell.

I have never understood the "flying is great there" argument. Granted, a low level in r-2508 or el centro is cool, but how often do most guys fly LATT? I appreciate the good weather and nice scenery at certain locations, but its not the top criteria for choosing a duty station. Have you ever heard anyone say "I have 2000 hours in the Hornet, but 800 of them are out of Oceana (etc) so they don't count."