• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thinking of a DOR ? Please read...

It was suggested that I share my story after trading messages with a contributor on an un-related thread.

I completed OCS and attended flight school as an SNFO in 09'-10'. During flight school, the actual training went well. I enjoyed the flying part immensely and my academics were very good. A few months into Primary, however, I started to deal with some personal issues. Nothing serious, but also nothing I really want to share with everyone on a public forum (if you're really curious, feel free to message me).

At the time, I THOUGHT that I had thought things through carefully and made the decision to DOR from training. As I mentioned in the other thread, this was the most regrettable decision of my life.

The purpose behind this posting is to offer a word of caution to others in flight school contemplating a similar course of action. I understand that everyone's situation is different and your reason for DOR-ing may be a result of something to which I simply cannot relate.
HOWEVER, I can tell you from someone that has moved on to the civilian world as a Reservist, there is no comparison to the challenge and, in many cases, the purpose that life as a military aviator provides. I have a good job working in the office of a global engineering company. Every single day, as I sit in my office and stare at my computer screen surrounded by meaningless paperwork, I regret not holding on to the incredible opportunity that I once had. I realize that looking back with regret is not the way to live life, but I would be lying if I said I didn't think about it often. You are most likely in flight school because you have that internal desire to live up to your potential to the fullest extent. I can assure you that feeling won't be fullfilled working in most civilian professions. That probably sounds a bit arrogant, but I do believe it to be true.

So...for those of you thinking of a DOR, PLEASE take a step back and seriously consider the implications. I know from experience that flight school is not easy and will kick your ass at times. If it was a breeze, everyone would do it. And I know that personal issues, whether it be a girlfriend or missing family or the lifestyle not coming off as what you envisioned it to be or whatever....can seem overwhelming when you are in the grind of flight school. But in the grand scheme of things, it is only 1-2 years out of your life and if you stick it out, you will be experience things in your career that VERY FEW people will ever have the chance to experience. You do not want to give that up. Trust me. Take pride in yourself for being in the position you are in and ride it out.

I hope I don't come off as talking down to anyone for thinking about quitting, because...I did DOR and that would be hipocritical. I just want to offer caution to those thinking about doing the same and support in any way that I can... Feel free to message me if you have any questions at all.

I'm currently trying to go Army right now to try and get back in the military aviator family. I realize it will be an uphill battle given my past choices, but I have a great deal of respect for this profession and geuinely appreciate the caliber of person it takes to do what you all do...

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Don't sweat it bro. Everything in this life happens for a reason.

Good luck with the new career, and try not to look back and think about, "What could have been." Instead, focus on moving forward and advancing, and your life will be much better as a result. All the best. :)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was suggested that I share my story after trading messages with a contributor on an un-related thread...

If there was an "excellent gouge" button, I'd have pushed it for this post. The OP made a decision in a private situation, which turned out to be regrettable and final, as he mans up and admits. I commend pcolaflyer09 for posting this well written advice for any SNA/SNFO contemplating DOR. We all know how hard it is to be selected for this precious opportunity, and it must be heartbreaking for the many qualified 'non-selects' to see a very fortunate selectee DOR during training.:(

There are situations (usually safety/fear of flying, illness, etc.), where DOR may be a wise decision, but it should be carefully considered because a DOR is so final & closes so many doors in aviation (& sometimes other career pursuits).:cool:
BzB

Renegade One

None
If there was an "excellent gouge" button, I'd have pushed it for this post. The OP made a decision in a private situation, which turned out to be regrettable and final, as he mans up and admits. I commend pcolaflyer09 for posting this well written advice for any SNA/SNFO contemplating DOR. We all know how hard it is to be selected for this precious opportunity, and it must be heartbreaking for the many qualified 'non-selects' to see a very fortunate selectee DOR during training....
BzB
Can't top what BzB said...concur. Thanks for the very candid post.

MasterBates

Good post.

I can also speak to the unfulfilled feeling at a civilian Enginerd job. And I have a fairly nice/exciting job by engineering standards.

I make more than I probably ever would have if I stayed to 20+ years on a per year basis.
I get Per Diem rates that would make COD guys jealous.
I get all sorts of neat stock options, 401k matching, etc..

And I'd also go back to flying for the Navy tomorrow if they called.

(now, before any of you clowns at BUPERS get ideas.. That's "flying" as in a 131X billet. Not flying in the back of a Herc to be the postmaster of some FOB on a IA)