• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"There I was" stories from a Vietnam era A-4 Driver

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I forgot about Zip (sorry).:) But yeah... Skeeterman makes five.;)

Steve
ACTUALLY ... come to think about it; there's others ... CATMANDO and at least one other -- the A-6 guy who was in Rosey Roads for a while ... just to name a few that immediately come to mind ...

BUT: were they "really" :)eek:) A-4 drivers ... ?? Or were they just "wannabe's" ... "wishful thinkers" ... and just passin' through that "snug" little cockpit ... :D

I think we all know the answer to that one ... :D

MasterBates

I know IntruderDriver flew TA4s as an IP out of Meridian, but I think his fleet time was strictly of the -6 variety both as a BN and Pilot.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ACTUALLY ... come to think about it; there's others ... CATMANDO ............
BUT: were they "really" :)eek:) A-4 drivers ... ?? Or were they just "wannabe's" ... "wishful thinkers" ... and just passin' through that "snug" little cockpit ... :D

I think we all know the answer to that one ... :D

Hey A4s. You need to crank in some more mils in that gunsight of yours :icon_smil. You are either missing wide, or shooting blanks. :D:D ;)

Me, an A-4 "wannabe" or "wishful thinker" Au Contraire!

Actually, I am a member of the Skyhawk Association (but do need to re-up my dues :( )

While I flew F-9s in Advanced, I later came back and bagged alot in one of these (pictured below) for a couple of years, including a bunch of traps. I also flew this one under the bag in the instrument RAG, VF-126. :eek:

ta4jskyhawk01.jpg

And this one was almost my personal Scooter for a couple of years - a J-65, NA-4C #145062. [And talk about tangling with a prop, I once got really slow, flaps down to watch a couple of old biplanes do a tail chase..... as I got really close, a Stearman jumped me. Indeed, a Stearman can turn well inside an A-4! :eek:]

nadca4big.jpg

145062.jpg

a4sis1.jpg

exhelodrvr

pilot
Hey, I got about 30 hours in an A-4 simulator one year when I was having a hard time getting enough flight hours to make my mins. Does that count?

I got pretty good at instrument approaches in it. Never could get the darn thing to hover, though.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A-4 BugHawk

Well, glad to have ALL of you guys here sharing stories. I am one who is in a constant state of learning, and wisdom from the wise is one subject I take seriously.
A couple of pics of my A-4 BugHawk: I tried to post the pics here but the attachments were as close as I could get.
BugHawk has a REAL A-4 probe, chrome -plated tailhook & CA lic. plate A4 HAWK!:D VA-127 line & fuel pits - NAS Lemoore CA - 1974.

Attachments

• A-4 Bughawk2 001.jpg
    A-4 Bughawk2 001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 189
  • A-4 Bughawk 001.jpg
    A-4 Bughawk 001.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 192

blackbart22

pilot
The Connie cruise of '67 was when I arrived on board. I do have a few hours in A-4's, just passing through as it were. Convinced the Ops O at China Lake that I had to check out in A-4's to chase BQM-34's. Got a few hours in NA-4E 148613. Charlie wings and echo fuselage. Strange aircraft.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
YooHoo...anyone home? No action over here for a while & I get bored talking to meself lol.
If any of you A-4 devotees interested, I'd be happy to discuss my involvement with the Navy's first air-to-ground (semi-smart) guided missile system, Bullpup A/B (AGM-12A/B). Had a long & very happy relationship with the "puppy dogs" back in the day.
If any of you board veterans feel that this might be an OPSEC problem, just let me know.
Also, I have lots of thoughts re: aviation Greens, one of my favoritist uniforms.

Meantime, I'll be in the holding pattern over at NTWS. (LOS HIM HAR DFD 2 - FLY THE BALL, #^%@*&!) BzB

MasterBates

There be multiple threads for Aviation Greens!

Click the links in my signature and they will take you there.

<---------------The Aviation Green guy