• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
I love that chart!! And those are just the “mandatory” retirements, not even counting anyone leaving voluntarily (medical, family, etc.). Looking strong for the foreseeable future. ?

Python

pilot
Contributor
Depending on which pundit you listen to, there may or may not be a decent sized recession coming in 2019/2020. I’m not an economics major so I don’t know how true or not that is. Any thoughts on how such an event would affect hiring in these unusual times of mass retirements?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Depending on which pundit you listen to, there may or may not be a decent sized recession coming in 2019/2020. I’m not an economics major so I don’t know how true or not that is. Any thoughts on how such an event would affect hiring in these unusual times of mass retirements?

Mandatory retirements listed are mandatory by law.

Currently airlines are seeing an increaed % above the mandatory numbers (AA is seeing 14% of the the projected mandatory retirement #s bowing out early for various reasons).

You’ll likely see controllable early retirement events taper off and a push to increase the mandatory retirement age as happened in the past with less chance of success now that US mandatory retirement age is in line with ICAO age limits.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Mandatory retirements listed are mandatory by law.

Currently airlines are seeing an increaed % above the mandatory numbers (AA is seeing 14% of the the projected mandatory retirement #s bowing out early for various reasons).

You’ll likely see controllable early retirement events taper off and a push to increase the mandatory retirement age as happened in the past with less chance of success now that US mandatory retirement age is in line with ICAO age limits.
Latest numbers I’ve seen shows 17 percent with an average age of 61.6 for those retiring early. Captain I flew a trip with last month was retiring at 60.

2018 Average monthly retirements: 53.4
2018 Average retirement age: 64.4
2018 Percentage of age 65 retirements: 83% (17% pre-65 retirements)
Average retirement age of pilots retiring pre-65: 61.6

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Then there are the ones who cross the street to become sim instructors when they’re too old to fly anymore.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
@HAL Pilot wishes it was . . . .
Not in this life or any other. She has to be high maintenance even as nothing else other than a seat warmer.

There is no way she is actually an airline pilot either. FO stripes, Captain hat, leg hugging pants and high heels. Plus that isn't actually an airplane.

Of course that's not to say she isn't a 1 on the binary scale.