• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

Treetop Flyer

pilot
So this was created to prevent a stall and the 1500 hour rule was put in place because of a stall? Are guys in THE SHOW flying that close to the stall margine? I figured you would fly with a bit of a cushion.
The 1500 hour rule came because of the Colgan stall/crash but it wouldn’t have prevented it. The captain and first officer had more than 1500 hours. The plane had a stick shaker and a stick pusher to help avoid stalls, but the captain inexplicably pulled back and the first officer inexplicably raised the flaps.

Stuff that has been implemented since then that probably would have helped is better stall training in simulators, and FAR117 rest rules.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So this was created to prevent a stall and the 1500 hour rule was put in place because of a stall? Are guys in THE SHOW flying that close to the stall margine? I figured you would fly with a bit of a cushion.
They are talking about a possible malfunction in this system. If that is so, then you wouldn't have to be near stall for it to wake up and give you one hell of a surprise. But HAL is right about high cruise. You can find yourself glued to the speed tape in some conditions. I don't make it a habit to fly that high. If I can put on more gas and avoid the radiation, mountain wave over speeds and turbulence induced under speed I will. Only time I worry about saving gas is when I am looking at holding. Not when accepting a cruise altitude.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Wink, you fly overland with plenty of fields to get gas.

Sometimes my choice is to fly low or high because of other traffic or weather. I don’t alway have the gas to fly low and there aren’t any pit stops mid ocean.

But for the most part, I agree with you. I try and give myself a little more breathing room.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wink, you fly overland with plenty of fields to get gas.

Sometimes my choice is to fly low or high because of other traffic or weather. I don’t alway have the gas to fly low and there aren’t any pit stops mid ocean.

But for the most part, I agree with you. I try and give myself a little more breathing room.
True enough. That is one very good reason I don't fly international. Can. Have the seniority. But don't. Just me.

Is that your island tan or have you been flying too much at altitude this month? ;)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Sometimes at altitude I’ve had a 20 knot window between low speed stall and high speed stall.

Get whacked hard by some unplanned turbulence and watch the speed tape jump...

Does Hawaiian have SOP regarding how narrow the window can be before you hit the Q corner? To my rotorhead mind, a 20 knot window seems awfully small.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Not an issue if it’s smooth.

No procedure. Max altitude is determined by what the magic box says. It gives you a 1.2g buffer and is supposed to be good for moderate turbulence. There is also a severe turbulence max altitude chart.

Most of us don’t go to max altitude in anything greater than light turbulence.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
The 1500 hour rule came because of the Colgan stall/crash but it wouldn’t have prevented it. The captain and first officer had more than 1500 hours. The plane had a stick shaker and a stick pusher to help avoid stalls, but the captain inexplicably pulled back and the first officer inexplicably raised the flaps.

Stuff that has been implemented since then that probably would have helped is better stall training in simulators, and FAR117 rest rules.

I wasn't even thinking about high speed stalls but that all makes sense. Being that close to a low alt stall like the Colgan crash is what I was really surprised by.

This is stuff I will have to worry about in the civilian world soon enough but for now I am used to being able to fix it either with my left hand and some afterburner or just pointing my nose at the ground to get some airspeed.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I wasn't even thinking about high speed stalls but that all makes sense. Being that close to a low alt stall like the Colgan crash is what I was really surprised by.

This is stuff I will have to worry about in the civilian world soon enough but for now I am used to being able to fix it either with my left hand and some afterburner or just pointing my nose at the ground to get some airspeed.
The pointing the nose still works (provided you have altitude). The problem is that was not always the procedure. Until the Colgan, the FAA wanted us to power out of the stall and ATP standards were a loss of min alt. Now it’s more like we all learned in flight school. Break the AOA and recover. Also before the Colgan we never trained Unusual Attitudes. We do now. This year’s recurrent training (FAA mandated, not sure about implementation date, but at FedEx) we are training high alt stalls.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The AIr France 447 - pilot ignoring basic tenants of attitude flying. Stall warning after stall warning. Airbus guys I know have said the issues around the side stick are over hyped. Interesting

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
The AIr France 447 - pilot ignoring basic tenants of attitude flying. Stall warning after stall warning. Airbus guys I know have said the issues around the side stick are over hyped. Interesting

A300/310, which FedEx flies doesn’t have side sticks.. I forgot to mention Air France as another reason for training. And I forgot the slide show but apparently there have been quite a few (recently) but they didn’t end in disaster.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
A300/310, which FedEx flies doesn’t have side sticks.. I forgot to mention Air France as another reason for training. And I forgot the slide show but apparently there have been quite a few (recently) but they didn’t end in disaster.

Heard of two high altitude stalls on the CRJ front in recent years, apparently with one resulting in a dual engine flameout to a single engine relight with pax onboard.